Cannot RAISE blood sugars

Witchypoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
Been diabetic type 1 for 26yr I'm on the DAFNE regime.
In the last few weeks I simply cannot raise my BS to above 3.6....no matter how many marshmallows or mars or coke or energy drinks my bs will not go above 4.0
I sant go and see my diabetic nurse as I'm out of the UK for quite a while
Searching has brought no remedy

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Witchypoo1 Are these readings from a cgm or finger prick test. If a cgm, check with a blood test.

Is the weather warmer than normal where you are, are you out of your normal routine, more exercise etc, as things like that can reduce insulin needs. Are your test strips in date. It could be a faulty pen, you could try another one.

Have you tried reducing your insulin? If you're having to take all those extra carbs, you're having too much insulin somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: filly and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Hi and welcome to the forums @Witchypoo1 .

Sustained exercise can reduce my insulin needs by a lot....

Can you email your diabetic nurse?

Witchypoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forums @Witchypoo1 .

Sustained exercise can reduce my insulin needs by a lot....

Can you email your diabetic nurse?
I have been emailing her so many times now..LOL...
I dont want to come across as taking the "pi ss"
Its only been the last 1/2 weeks this has happened, yes its hot here, so I dont work in this heat (43 degree last week)
Today my BS were "normal" (if theres a normal for a diabetic type 1

Witchypoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum @Witchypoo1 Are these readings from a cgm or finger prick test. If a cgm, check with a blood test.

Is the weather warmer than normal where you are, are you out of your normal routine, more exercise etc, as things like that can reduce insulin needs. Are your test strips in date. It could be a faulty pen, you could try another one.

Have you tried reducing your insulin? If you're having to take all those extra carbs, you're having too much insulin somewhere.
Tried new pens, strips etc all same results.
My BS was low but i felt ok, got up felt a bit dizzy so took a reading and found 1.9...YIKES!!!
normally when theyre really low, a bottle of red bull, and or a mars bar or marshmellow woud bring them back.
But the last week no matter what i drank or eat (sugar wise) the BS would not go above 3.9
however today they are acting like nnormal again (if theres a 'normal' for diabetic type 1...LOL

Reactions: EllieM