Cannula needle to small and not getting insulin properly.

symer001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I normally use the tenderlink with the angled needle and I have decided to switch back to the flex link plus. I ordered the 6 mm needle and I was having real trouble controlling my sugars, so I've come to the conclusion that the needle length is too small for me.

Ive never put cannulas in my upper arm before but I'm wondering if the skin might be a bit thinner there, so I can use up the shorter needles. Has anyone used a smaller needle in their arms before? Or would it not make a difference where on the body it is?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@symer001 I used a 6mm cannula in my arm, but I personally found the absorption quite poor. It may be different for others as my arms are quite skinny, I think.

I also found it painful.

symer001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@symer001 I used a 6mm cannula in my arm, but I personally found the absorption quite poor. It may be different for others as my arms are quite skinny, I think.

I also found it painful.

Thank you for your reply. I have had it in my arm for a couple of days now and it seems to be okay! Hopefully my 8mm will arrive soon.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll never forget my first cannula - it was 8mm and went straight into muscle - I felt every single tenth of a unit going in, until it failed within 24 hrs. Because it was my first one I just thought 'blimey, they didn't tell me that pumping was this painful - have I made a terrible mistake?'!!!! Fortunately I found that the 6mm ones were much better!

It's great that there is a range of sizes.

:)