1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cant find a cereal that doesn't shoot my blood sugar right up!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Ley666, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Stephen Ponder’s ‘Sugar Surfing’ is a good example of ways to think about blood sugar control.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. 649tom

649tom · Newbie

My 5yr old Daughter was diagnosed 2wks ago. Our nurse advised us to stick with what she eats and to not change a thing. (Only limit snacks to 15gm of carbs in between meals).
    Breakfast is our main spike by a mile. Our nurse advised today to pre-bolus 15mins before cereal so we'll try that tomorrow.
    We switched her cereal from Aldi Cocopops which were about 37gms of carbs per 100gms to a Kellogs cereal that was advertised to be a healthy option for kids. It contains about 27gms of carbs per 100gms and about 8 times more fibre that the cocopops but the spike height and length didn't change.

We're still at the stage of not wanting to mess with her meals too much just in case she decides she's not going to eat.
    Meals times are still nerve racking for me once that bolus goes in.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Did you factor in the milk? I find milk (Lactose.) can be a bit of a "wild card."

4. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's eye opening how much sugar is in kid's cereals - horrendous when you think about the long term impact on their health and teeth!

In time as she gets used to life as a T1D and you get a better understanding of her ratios it's worth playing around with the lower sugar ones to see how she does. Some of us do well on slow release porridge for instance - but that spikes other people.

Good luck!

5. SMS1

SMS1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's not that quick to prepare ( but it's feasible once you get the hang of it) but I found this Keto Coconut Porridge with coconut cream,coconut flour, butter, small amount of psyllium husk, 1 egg and salt very filling,lasting a long time and no spikes at all as per meter.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

I feel this may be the route I'm going to go down, and just take dextrose sweets with me, such a pain in the butt!!!

7. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

That sounds delish!!!! Thank you I will have to try this

8. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

See I always drink skimmed milk, am I needing fat in there as well since it's a huge carb hit?

9. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

Hiya nice to meet a fellow devices diabetic!
    The risk of a hypo at work is too much for me, it's too distracting as well. Yeah that cos make more sense to have the protein and no Insulin instead of carbs. Thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

You will get there! Sounds like ypure doing fantastic already, it's worrying but once you learn how to act on things like hypos and highs the anxiety will leave you. Keep up the good work guy!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

No I'm on novorapid and from what I'm reading....I'm needing a faster acting insulin. Basal is humulin. Again I'm not keen on it as of decades when it wants to kick in, all different times of the day it decides to disappear and come back. So no half units for me, I have my consultant on Wednesday going to get the insulin changed

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

I am deffs seeing about changing my insulin, I've always just thought I am super resistant to Insulin, I'm not it's the rubbish novorapid.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

I've thrown it in the bin! Causing more stress than good Haha. So many great recipes and ideas I'm getting, been living a very sheltered all bran life

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

Ooo this sounds ideal. Where do u get it from??

15. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

Hiya
    Yeah I'm never hungry in the morning anyway, was just always convinced I need carbs in the morning to keep me going -, I absolutely don't! If anything they make me more tired and sluggish. I'm going to cook boiled eggs the night before and some kippers! Much nicer anyway eh

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ley666

Ley666 · Active Member

I'm going to switch to protein instead. Been convinced for years that I need carbs as I'm.surrounded by dieticians etc, donf need them at all. I wish I liked yogurt it seems go be everyones go to.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 649tom

649tom · Newbie

Yes. And she drinks it. Semi skimmed.

18. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I used to eat breakfast I found that my I:C ratio had to be twice that of any other time of the day. But in loading up that kind of insulin I’d always crash after DP ended around 11 AM. So I started to eat less, and then I dosed less and I crashed less. Then I went to skipping breakfast and didn’t crash at all. That trial and error is how I got to where I am now.

It’s a choice. You have to be the one who has to decide.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hill28

Hill28 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I quit breakfast long ago, because of the dawn effect (rising values even by only standing up, even without eating). Cereals i also quit as almost all of them contain huge amounts of sugar, which give you the spike.

weetabix is one of the few cereals that doesnt contain added sugar. Its carbs last longer.
    You could also try to switch to lactose-free milk, which has fewer carbs. Or you could choose soy milk without added sugar. All this will possibly help to avoid a spike.

20. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Back in my day, milk was recomended for hypos. (Some dismiss that these days due to the delay with the content of fat?)
    I still remember the illustrated book gifted by the doc on my diagnosis..No CGMs or even meters back then, "he tells mummy he feels funny & she gives him milk."

However, it's still my "go to" on a low if I happen to be near a fridge.. Pulled me out of a 2.6er on waking this morning. That was semi.

If your child changes her mind on food after the bolus has gone in? If she can be tempted by milk? This may just help.

Best wishes.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook