Can't get through this

Carol11

I guess I'm here just to moan a little. But I'm having trouble getting through this whole business. I was Dx in Feb/07 as type 1 at age 60 (the odds are astronomical as I've found out) and this has destroyed me. I've been reading a book "Just Fine" how people with invisible, chronic diseases get by and I Realize I'm not. I was doing all the right things "they" say-watching the weight, exercise, eating right-but I still got it. And I'm still doing all that plus carb counting & insulin but the control is non-existent and even worse since I had to start thyroid meds, plus other medical problems I never had before. It seems I hit 60 and everything hit the fan and is going down hill. Didn't sleep last night and all the crying bouts and warm milk and soft music didn't induce sleep..Non stop worrying. Hell I'm even crying while typing this and I'm at the library (no computer of my own). Sorry i just had to vent.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You've reached 60 and you CAN and WILL get control of this. You can't get "through" it, because it won't go away. You're stuck with it. Any woman Our age( I'm 62) is tough enough to get on top of anything. We have life experience and the understanding that the only options are
"Get on with it and cope" or " lie down and die". there's nothing in between. Have you raised a famly?
If so you have all the skills you need, even if buried deep.
You need to stand up to your medical team and ask for help in getting on top of the control. Yes it will be more difficult with thyroid, but there are others on this forum with multiple conditions and they will be ready to help. T1 is an auto-immune condition and if you have one, there's a tendency to develop others.
You did nothing wrong to develop it, it's just the luck of the draw.
However keeping up with healthy eating( not necessarily low carb/low fat) and exercise will help you to cope

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Carol,
Its a shock isn't it, and it doesn't sound as if you've got over it. But you're not alone, I was in my fifties and I've encountered many more of us that develop it later in life.
You need some help with gaining control. When you've done that you should be able to do anything that you did pre diabetes. Don't let diabetes dictate the life you live.
Make an appointment with your nurse, gp or someone at the hospital ( I know that there are drop in clinics at a few diabetes units, you might be lucky to have one in your area). Tell them how you are feeling.
As you haven't got internet access it might be quite difficult to help on specifics, but please do ask any questions here,there is usually someone who can help.
Meanwhile, whilst you are in the library see if you can order one of these books. Though they're American in origin,most people find either of both to be really useful.
Using Insulin: Everything You Need for Success with Insulin
John Walsh Publisher: Torrey Pines Press (Jun 2003)
ISBN-10: 1884804853
ISBN-13: 978-1884804854
or
Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin (Marlowe Diabetes Library)
Gary Scheiner
Publisher: Marlowe & Co; illustrated edition edition (17 May 2004)
ISBN-10: 1569244367
ISBN-13: 978-1569244364

If you are able to use Amazon, they can be bought either new or secondhand.

Edited to add I did find the following book in a library and read it when first diagnosed. The title makes you think that its not for adults but there is a lot of invaluable info in it (and I notice that a couple of enthusiastic reviews on Amazon are from adults with diabetes)
Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults (Class Health) (Paperback)
by Ragnar Hanas
Publisher: Class Publishing; 3rd Revised edition edition (1 Sep 2006)

ISBN-10: 1859591531
ISBN-13: 978-1859591536

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Sorry to hear you are sounding depressed. You might just surprise yourself with just what you can get through given enough time and support. I try and be a glass half full rather than a glass half empty kind of person. Sure, it isn't nice getting type 1 at your age but at least you have had 60 years to live without it!

I'm sure you will get lots of support and words of encouragement here. Seek some help if you need to as having diabetes is a huge adjustment. It is like you have to grieve for the life you had and start again.

Anyway, you are not alone in your struggles. Keep smiling :)

Jen

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Carol.

This has to be the best place to be if you need support or advice. Thanks to all the previous posters who have shown that with their responses.

So Carol we are all here to help or support. A shoulder to cry on if you wish. You are not on your own. I'm 61 next month and my Diabetes is well controlled. I have a fabulous life and you can too. Come back when you can.

Ken.

gbtyke

I was diagnosed at 62 but since my son was diagnosed at 21 it didn't bother me one little bit. OK every blip on the meter makes me angry as I'm used to being in control but I just remember the young kids with it and move on. Your anger will pass.

Normal waking about 5. Woke yesterday - 11?????
After breakfast and insulin 9.9.
Took another shot. 6.6.
Took another shot with lunch that I normally don't, settled down after lunch.

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Hey Carol. You are getting great support here. Put your best gear on and let's see a smile babe. :D

D.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Sorry to hear you are feeling so low, but you can get on top of this, really you can. And as jen&khaleb said at least you have had 60 years without Type 1, 60 years for your body not to be vulnerable to all the dreadful complications of this illness. Sixty years! What I wouldn't give to have that gift for my daughters!

BTW, for anyone who's interested - my 7 year old did her first injection and inserted her first cannula all by herself this week - hooray, a red letter week for us!!

Keep you chin up Carol, you CAN do this.
Sue

farmerfudge

Hang in there Carol, diabetes is a real roller coaster, highs & lows (no pun intended), but you'll be fine :) I had 32 years of life without diabetes. It's a cliche but for the first couple of years I was definitly greiving for my old life I'd lost. However, as time has gone on I've been made aware that I should be grateful for having those 32 years. I know it doesn't make it any easier to deal with but maintaining perspective certainly helps. I have a 20 month year old daughter and you've just got to realise that soemtimes your life is for living for other peoples sakes as much as your own. Good luck with thngs, and we're all here for you :p

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Carol,

As the others have said, we're here to help you as much as we can.
I know it seems like a bombshell at first, but you are not at fault in any way. You can and will get control over it. Once you do, you will find your health can improve fast.

All the best,

fergus