Can't Get Victoza

Hi, I've been a type 2 diabetic for over 10 years now. Recently been put on Victoza (as Ozempic made me vomit)
Been told by several chemists that they're having problems with manufacturers and cannot supply this months p/script for it.
I run out this weekend and am concerned what might happen if I don't use it. Been told to up my insulin (novomix 30) to make up for it!
I'm not happy about it, but will do so.
Anyone one else having this experience right now? How do you feel? Side effects? Just how dangerous is it to miss this medication?

Reactions: sugarfeast

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on Victoza and my pharmacy couldn’t fill my last prescription completely, so I run out tomorrow. I have spoken to my GP and diabetes nurse and I have the choice to go back on Metformin which I used to take or try diet alone, I’ve chosen diet alone with the promise of an HbA1c after three months. I‘ve been told there shouldn’t be any problem from stopping it in the way of side effects. I wear a Freestyle Libre so I can keep a close eye on my levels. I assume as you are on Insulin that you have means to test your blood sugars, obviously you’ll have to keep a close eye on your readings.

I’m on Victoza and my pharmacy couldn’t fill my last prescription completely, so I run out tomorrow. I have spoken to my GP and diabetes nurse and I have the choice to go back on Metformin which I used to take or try diet alone, I’ve chosen diet alone with the promise of an HbA1c after three months. I‘ve been told there shouldn’t be any problem from stopping it in the way of side effects. I wear a Freestyle Libre so I can keep a close eye on my levels. I assume as you are on Insulin that you have means to test your blood sugars, obviously you’ll have to keep a close eye on your readings.
Hi, thank you for your reply. It has somewhat eased my worries. At least I don't feel alone now. It makes me wonder why they put you on different diabetes meds and then say it won't make much difference if you don't take it! I'm on 4 metformin a day and been on insulin for just over a year. I'm very bad for eating sweets etc, so I guess I really have to try really hard and behave myself. Thanks for your advice. x

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox

Scubbie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was the first patient in Wolverhampton to be prescried Victoza and have been on it for about 14 years. There has, up to now, never been a problem but this week I was told by my pharmacy they could no longer obtain supplies and I have only one dose left in my pen. Originally I was, like most, taking Metfomin but the side effects were not tolerable. I then progressed to Byetta and that also caused me problems so I was then told I could have the latest treatment, Victoxa. However, taking 4 injections a day, 3 different insulins and a Victoza one I was having problems with lipohypotrophy. My diabetes consultant thought it would be a good idea if I could be transferred onto semaglutide as this would reduce my injections by 6 per week. He did, however, confirm there might be supply difficulties, which was quite correct, so I should stay on Victoza. My pharmatist cannot give me any idea when he might be able to get any further supples and says it is a production problem, like with the Semaglutide, and it might be the middle of 2024 before it gets sorted.
Where does one go from here, the only solution I can see is to wait to see if supplies can be gotten? I know of no other solution than controlling my diet better. Does anyone know any better?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I too was the 1st T2 patient to be put on Victoza to try and my results were amazing with substantial weight loss and excellent blood glucose control. My HbA1c fell from the mid teens to a constant 6.3% and remained at that figure for the past 14+yrs. Now, due to none being available, my weight has already started to gain and my home monitoring is indicating I will return to the teens again. What's worse though, my DN and the general practice are offering me no help whatsoever

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
At last I have received 2 pens of Victoza and I'm happy again. My chemist tried and tried and eventually some arrived, so they are out there for the persistently searching pharmacist

• Winner
Reactions: EllieM and Rachox

6 toes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At last I have received 2 pens of Victoza and I'm happy again. My chemist tried and tried and eventually some arrived, so they are out there for the persistently searching pharmacist
Have you got any other pharmacy's local that they may have supplys of it. I remember being on this did do well but gp changed and they just stopped it few years back.

If coming off of this meds have made you think you are gaining weight is it because you feel hungry again more regular and what foods i know that was my downfall after stopping it.

I'm on lantus but changed lifestyle and intermittent fasting my aim is within next 12 months to see a massive reduction on my hb1ac levels and hopefully reduce or stop taking meds because that would be a massive achievement for me.

sugarfeast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Gyms
I too was the 1st T2 patient to be put on Victoza to try and my results were amazing with substantial weight loss and excellent blood glucose control. My HbA1c fell from the mid teens to a constant 6.3% and remained at that figure for the past 14+yrs. Now, due to none being available, my weight has already started to gain and my home monitoring is indicating I will return to the teens again. What's worse though, my DN and the general practice are offering me no help whatsoever
Can’t be much help really except your not alone, I’m on 18 units Tresiba + 1.8 victoza sadly Victoza (Liraglutide) is no longer available my weight after 10 days is increasing together with my bg now at 16 - 20 over a days readings. No help anywhere as yet. I presume stocks are low as Liraglutide has now been proved to be a weight looser and has been supplied as such to millions more people probably with another name

Reactions: saky

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’ve been on Victoza for over 5 years with novarapid before meals. Out of stock everywhere for me and I’ve asked if I can have a background insulin instead.
Still waiting and the weight loss kinda just maintained itself but kept my blood sugars ok.
Now I’m just on novarapid , I’m needing to test more as I’m getting higher readings if I forget my insulin or not adjust properly