Car hypo treatment

JMartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone tell me the best thing that can be kept in a car long term to treat a hypo. My mum is also diabetic, doesn’t travel far really but this week on a way to an appointment she was stuck in traffic after a car accident for 1 1/2 hours her journey was only about 15 mins if that. She had 2 mars bars but she’d had them so long they’d gone off and couldn’t eat them. What can you suggest please.
I keep Dextros Energy tablets in a Pocket Pod, available online. 'CurveScience.com'. I have several of these in different handbags, car and sports bags. You can keep 4 tablets in a very slim container.

pumper1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone tell me the best thing that can be kept in a car long term to treat a hypo. My mum is also diabetic, doesn’t travel far really but this week on a way to an appointment she was stuck in traffic after a car accident for 1 1/2 hours her journey was only about 15 mins if that. She had 2 mars bars but she’d had them so long they’d gone off and couldn’t eat them. What can you suggest please.
I generally buy multi-packs of fruit pastilles. Firstly, they act pretty quickly, quicker than a chocolate bar. Secondly often 3 or 4 are enough so its easier to judge a dose than a chocolate bar where you end up eating it all! Thirdly, they don't melt, and lastly I'm not a massive fan of them so I'm never tempted to have one as a treat! On holiday and in summer I stick a tube in my pocket (or bag) even when its hot and they don't really melt. I hate glucose tabs too!!

Reactions: Mo R

Hatcher

Hi , I always carry packets of flapjack , it’s a quick sugar boost , keeps for long periods even in hot cars and you get oats as a longer carb + my usual tube of glucose

sammy68

I recently bought a couple of containers of Lift glucose tablets from Boots as well as a small bottle of liquid Lift glucose drink which I keep in my glove box of my car. I also keep a few cereal bars in my glove box too for emergencies and traffic jams. I try and swap them about once a month.

Captain_Sensible

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sarah! I'm Type 1 insulin dependent for 62 years and a driver. I always make sure I carry a couple of tubes of Glucogel wherever I go for emergency blood sugar hypos. I also keep a blood test kit in the car all the time and I always test my bloods before even getting in the car despite me having a Libre patch on all the time. I test ever hour on a long journey.In addition I keep a bottle of water in the car as well. You can get Glucogel from the doctors on prescription as a Type 1, but you can also buy 25g tubes off eBay. You've got to be so careful driving with diabetes. The last thing you want is low blood sugar at the wheel of your car. If that does happen- just pull over into a safe place and get yourself sorted out.,Don't attempt to move until your bloods have risen to 4.5 mmols plus. Best of luck - stay safe

Reactions: Bill_St

Gandolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
George Sherlock: I also take insulin for my diabetes, and keep a selection of boiled sweets rather than chocolate. Alternatively you can buy Dextrose tablets as a very useful standbye.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Thanks for all your replies! I think glucotabs or fruit pastilles will be what she can keep in the car. She doesn’t drive herself. As I’ve said she only goes out twice a week and they are just short journeys no more then 15 mins so doesn’t need to take a test kit with her.

frazzle 64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I always keep dextro energy tablets in the car as they are very effective at bringing your sugar levels back up quickly

123inn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glucose shot called Lift works really fast and is in a small 60ml bottle so perfect for car! Even free on prescription- hopefully this helps.
image.jpg

Reactions: Mo R

Margi1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use small cartons of fruit juice as advised for hypo treatment by the DAFNE course I attended about 20 years ago. I keep them everywhere: in my car, by my chair in the sitting room at home, by my bed, in my camper van (I don’t use that much so sometimes they go out of date, but they still seem to be fine if it’s not too long). I also keep biscuits of some kind handy too, to back up the juice ten minutes later. Of course you must pull in somewhere safe to treat the hypo and wait for 40 minutes after it recovers before driving again, as ordered by the driving licence instructions. Wretched nuisance, I would have loved to have taken a driving job, but hypos would upset a fixed schedule so badly that whether or not it is officially allowed I don’t think it would be fair on any employer.

MissesShore23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I carry a flapjack bar; the shelf life is good: however, it is best to check best before date & know how long you have before having to consume. N. B. Depending on maker, the sugar content can vary from 27g to 34g (Olyke Foods Oat Flapjack Original: 27.1g; Lottie Shaw’s Traditional Oat Flapjack: 34g).I am currently using Olyke Bar; purchased three months ago; use by date: 20/01/2024.
Also, I rarely consume whole bar in one sitting: I divide into eight portions & consume 2-3 pieces.
Regardless of manufacturer, one whole bar is equivalent to an actual meal in it self: check calorie content!
Glucotabs are the best in my opinion/experience. They’re fast, effective, long-lasting and not so yummy that you’ll be tempted to eat them just because they’re there!
Good luck!

glenmoray

I keep a Glucagon should you be feeling quite low glucose levels or the Glucose drinks or Tablets. The injection should be used only as a last resort. If you go to your GP they will add Glucagon onto your repeat prescription as to the Glucose Tablets and drinks. Always test your glucose levels 15 minutes before driving and I test every 30 minutes if my glucose levels falls below 6.5 mmol.

Georgehiggins

Jelly babies eat about 6-7

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry a flapjack bar; the shelf life is good: however, it is best to check best before date & know how long you have before having to consume. N. B. Depending on maker, the sugar content can vary from 27g to 34g (Olyke Foods Oat Flapjack Original: 27.1g; Lottie Shaw’s Traditional Oat Flapjack: 34g).I am currently using Olyke Bar; purchased three months ago; use by date: 20/01/2024.
Also, I rarely consume whole bar in one sitting: I divide into eight portions & consume 2-3 pieces.
Regardless of manufacturer, one whole bar is equivalent to an actual meal in it self: check calorie content!
Flapjacks contain a lot of butter. The fat slows down the absorption of sugar so are not great for treating a hypo.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all your replies! I think glucotabs or fruit pastilles will be what she can keep in the car. She doesn’t drive herself. As I’ve said she only goes out twice a week and they are just short journeys no more then 15 mins so doesn’t need to take a test kit with her.
Yes she does. As you have discovered she can have a hypo in that time and you need to test to ensure she recovers.
I have a small bag with all my diabetes kit - testing kit, insulin (i may plan to be out for 15 minutes but could get waylaid) and hypo treatment. I carry this with me all the time.

nikkihamm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a hypo kit of Amazon really cheap and that had glucose tablets and the fast acting gel.

pcarl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I use lift fast acting Glucose chews. I keep them in my bag so I have them with me all the time or have some sweets around in the car just in case. I set a alarm to remind me to check my glucose reading before I leave the house in the morning and before I leave work. I set alarms to remind me to check as I'm so busy at work I forget to check.

KRW52

Kendal Mint Cake. Perfect solution as it’s quick to eat, easy to work out carbs per square, not so desirable that you want to pick at it as you’re travelling, comes in a flat pack to store easily in the door pocket, and doesn’t go off over the months, even years (Does tend to go hard and become crumbly, keep in a plastic bag). And doesn’t leave stains like lucozade when spilled. Keep a bar in all your key locations, bedside table for instance, jacket pocket when out walking. I’ve relied on it for decades.

Reactions: Bill_St

Devonbloke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly please make sure that your blood sugar level is 5 or above before you drive. This is advice laid down by DVLA & you must carry a blood testing kit in the car with you. You must also check your blood sugar every 2 hours whilst driving. If you experience low blood sugar in between testing then jelly babies are excellent in raising your sugar level quickly and much more pleasant than glucose tablets. Providing you keep them in a sealed container jelly babies will last for several weeks. 1 to 4 jelly babies should be sufficient but advise that you experiment with different amounts.

Trevnew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've tried a number of different things and same problems as others have mentioned - things going off other people eating them etc. but found by far the best is Lift Fast Acting Glucose Shots- keep a long time, act really fast and others don't seem to want to have them :) are on Amazon but plenty of places sell them - system won't allow me to add the link