Car insurance and Type 1

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone explain the following or have you experienced the same?

Took a car insurance policy out for my partner, with myself as a named driver. When the confirmation email comes through, it states I have a medical condition which the DVLA are aware of but not that my licence is 3yr restricted (Type 1, insulin dependant)
To make sure it was right I rang to ask them to correct it, the premium increased by £300!!!

I asked why and they state it's come from the underwriters but were also surprised at it??
I attend every doctors and hospital appointment, I am a responsible insulin dependant driver and test, test, test, don't drive unless I'm fit to, HBA1C good, spot on hypo awareness and have always had my licence renewed in the 12yrs I have had Type 1.

Can't understand why we are getting punished for a condition totally out of our control?
Also curious as to how many years I've been screwed over for this now lol

Last edited:

Braddy300

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I informed my insurance when I was diagnosed as insulin dependent diabetic in June there was no increase in my premiums and they advised me to let them know if my situation changed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone explain the following or have you experienced the same?

Took a car insurance policy out for my partner, with myself as a named driver. When the confirmation email comes through, it states I have a medical condition which the DVLA are aware of but not that my licence is 3yr restricted (Type 1, insulin dependant)
To make sure it was right I rang to ask them to correct it, the premium increased by £300!!!

I asked why and they state it's come from the underwriters but were also surprised at it??
I attend every doctors and hospital appointment, I am a responsible insulin dependant driver and test, test, test, don't drive unless I'm fit to, HBA1C good, spot on hypo awareness and have always had my licence renewed in the 12yrs I have had Type 1.

Can't understand why we are getting punished for a condition totally out of our control?
Also curious as to how many years I've been screwed over for this now lol

I hope you don't mind me asking.? Is this policy taken out on a second vehicle??

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a company car so yes but no, if that makes sense?
It's the only personal policy we have!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jaylee, new to the site so rookie error lol!

No worries.. I drive a "Jap import".. Tricky enough without diabetes. However. Start throwing other drivers in the mix & it can get stupid.. I keep it simple. My wife don't touch my van! ;)

You also need to take into account the possible young age of a driver..? Think, son driving "mom's" car? It can also get controversial..??

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haha true!
We're both in our 30s, I have 10 years no claims, one non fault accident paid in full by 3rd party insurer, the only 'negative' was my 3 yr restricted!! I work in transport so that's always allegedly high risk but it was my licence that apparently, changed the price?!
Go figure!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

They are ripping you off, try another insurance company as there shouldn't be an increase because someone has type 1 diabetes (unless of course they have points on their licence or spent convictions for drink driving as an example).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha true!
We're both in our 30s, I have 10 years no claims, one non fault accident paid in full by 3rd party insurer, the only 'negative' was my 3 yr restricted!! I work in transport so that's always allegedly high risk but it was my licence that apparently, changed the price?!
Go figure!!

I know what your saying.. I'm not getting any younger.. (No own fault claims since 1987.) Recently bought a newer vehicle the same type. Got a couple of stupid but simalar prices elsewhere..? Then something more sane from my current insurer which I'd been with for the past 11 years..? But cuz it's newer.. What about more safty features? It's not been modded....

I've changed jobs many times over the years.. But the D has surprisingly never been my issue!

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They are ripping you off, try another insurance company as there shouldn't be an increase because someone has type 1 diabetes (unless of course they have points on their licence or spent convictions for drink driving as an example).

That's what I thought at first but wondered if there was a genuine reason.. seems not so far!

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know what your saying.. I'm not getting any younger.. (No own fault claims since 1987.) Recently bought a newer vehicle the same type. Got a couple of stupid but simalar prices elsewhere..? Then something more sane from my current insurer which I'd been with for the past 11 years..? But cuz it's newer.. What about more safty features? It's not been modded....

I've changed jobs many times over the years.. But the D has surprisingly never been my issue!

Any chance for them to get the extra £££s in eh!! lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's what I thought at first but wondered if there was a genuine reason.. seems not so far!

Any of the type 1's on the forum will tell you that they don't pay a loaded premium on their car insurance, however for life insurance that's another matter :rolleyes:

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rang up in July; the insurance company weren't bothered. I changed insurance at renewal in August. Made no difference to the premiums.

As a financial company, put in a complaint. Having diabetes is a disability; they are treating you differently and disadvantaging you with no justifiable reason. You may find that they've misinterpreted what you said or meant.

I used to work in a financial services company and had a very long and interesting chat to the lady who ran our Complaints department; the rules governing financial services and complaints is quite strict and there are plenty of stopgaps with the Ombudsman, which can get expensive for the financial services company if they mess up - and often if they don't.

You have a legitimate complaint; make it.

John

Reactions: Dodo

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@victoria21 I'd ring your insurance company and remind them that under the equality act, they're not allowed to do what they just have! I have spoken to multiple car insurance companies about this topic and they have categorically stated that they cannot apply a differential premium based on conditions that a person may have.

It's fair to say that whichever underwriter your insurance company is using is operating outside of the UK discrimination laws, and if I was you, I'd be checking out quotes from other companies and slapping them around the face of your current insurer. This kind of corporate behaviour should always receive extremely hard push back.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any of the type 1's on the forum will tell you that they don't pay a loaded premium on their car insurance, however for life insurance that's another matter :rolleyes:

Lol, when in my 20s I took out a pension with a "certain" company. I was also sold life insurance at the time because I couldn't get one without the other?
This is what I was led to believe...

I few years down the line I said "hang on"!?? Ended up contacting an Ombudsman & did get my money back on the life insurance. (And I didn't even need the use of a ouija board!)

They were just "pushing" another product at the time. The life insurance was cunningly mis sold..

The pension on the other hand still appears to be reasonably healthy. (According to our financial advisor.) ;)

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Just wanted to add my support of comments so far - my car insurer is fully aware of my diabetes. The premium didn't change when I informed them. You are being ripped off and what they are doing is against discrimination laws.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its the DVLA that decide whether you are fit to drive, so if you have a valid license then you are the same as anyone else...

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate you reaffirming what I initially thought!
I have gone over to another provider who haven't penalised me and will be pursuing this with Dial Direct Car Insurance also

I generally don't like complaining, but how many people are being penalised without ever knowing or being advised of it! It was a computer error that brought this to the front this time!

Reactions: Jaylee

Beetle3501

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No worries.. I drive a "Jap import".. Tricky enough without diabetes. However. Start throwing other drivers in the mix & it can get stupid.. I keep it simple. My wife don't touch my van! ;)

You also need to take into account the possible young age of a driver..? Think, son driving "mom's" car? It can also get controversial..??

Not a Scoobie

Reactions: Jaylee
S

Shar67

I had an insurance quote today, the advisor said as long as dvla are happy for you to have a licence it doesn't make a difference to us, the quote wasn't too bad either.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a Scoobie

Hi,
No..

Funny enough it's a Mazda Bongo. (Looking at your profile name, linking it with VW & all that?) though I found the Vee Dub club a friendly bunch out on the road.. :cool:
I had a 95 plate for 11 years. (Taken in Germany on the way to a rally in Poland a number of years ago..)
image.jpeg

& recently aquired this sexy & rather newer 02.. Straight off the boat!

image.jpeg

Lol, I love em.. I even used the first one to pick my bride & her parents up in when we got wed 6 years back!
With a Bongo shaped cake & everything! If I'm not going to eat it. It may aswell be pleasing to the eye!?

.... I've no plans to change the wife! ;)

Reactions: noblehead