1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by joanne75, Jun 11, 2018.

1. joanne75

joanne75 · Well-Known Member

Anyone know the cheapest place for car insurance please. Type 1

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Contact a insurance broker, give them your details and see what they can do for you.

3. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. joanne75

Thank you I will do but looking for companies that specifically deal with diabetes.

5. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Save your legs, and let the broker do it.

6. Mr_Pot

Brokers advise you to go with the company that gives them the biggest commission.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr_Pot

I am type 2 but I don't remember being asked any questions about diabetes when getting quotes for car insurance.

8. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

By all means check price comparison sites but also check sites that do not advertise on comparison sites as these can often offer better deals.

9. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I have always been offered a choice of several quotes with the broker I use.

10. joanne75

I have just done some quotes declaring it and not and it’s £120 more I was under the impression there were companies who supplied diabetics with insurance and not whacked the price up I’ll google it, yes you do have to declare t1 not sure about t2

11. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I always tell the insurance company I have diabetes but don’t think it makes a big difference in my quote.
    I just use comparison sites ... an check out a few that don’t advertise there.

12. Draco16

Draco16 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, take your pick of a couple of comparison sites and see what you get. When doing your quote don't declare you're T1. When you want to go ahead and purchase do it by phone. Once you've run through the details at that point declare. I've done this numerous times and the premium has never been increased. They would be in a potentially very awkward position if they did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes the automated systems exclude companies who computer can not automatically quote for someone with diabetes. Hence some of the cheaper insurance companies may not to be included if you tick the box on the comparison sites.

14. joanne75

[QUOTE
    Thank you took your advice and it didn’t change

Draco16, post: 1807687, member: 467776"]Hi, take your pick of a couple of comparison sites and see what you get. When doing your quote don't declare you're T1. When you want to go ahead and purchase do it by phone. Once you've run through the details at that point declare. I've done this numerous times and the premium has never been increased. They would be in a potentially very awkward position if they did.[/QUOTE]

15. red1mot

red1mot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My premium was not increased by LV when I told them taking insulin and on a 3 year licence they said no problem

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook