Carb counting and injections

Bigcal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
I was just wondering if some could explain how to carb count because I've been diabetic for 2 years now and don't have a clue how to I've litrely just been guessing what to take and this really don't help because my bloods go from high to low they just fluctuate would really appreciate if someone could just explain it because I don't have a clue thanks :)

D

Deleted Account

It is usual for local CCG to run courses such as DAFNE - some may have different names - so it may be worthwhile asking your local healthcare team.
If this is not available, you could try this online course: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The online course that @helensaramay suggests is a good intro. You could also ask your DSN or dietician to run through it with you.
The Carbs and Cals app gives a good idea of carb counts for some common food when out and about.

Bigcal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But I also have been diagnosed with celiac disease since I've been dibetic so I have more restrictions on what i can eat

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But I also have been diagnosed with celiac disease since I've been dibetic so I have more restrictions on what i can eat
Some gluten-free variants of things like bread do tend to be more carb heavy than the normal item so that is something you need to watch out for.

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read about your coeliac disease.
The good thing is that it makes no difference to carb counting.
Once you know how much insulin to take based on number of carbs, it doesn't matter whether these carbs are in a mars bar, a loaf of bread (or just a slice, if you're not that hungry), an apple or a pile of mashed potatoes.

Bigcal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to read about your coeliac disease.
The good thing is that it makes no difference to carb counting.
Once you know how much insulin to take based on number of carbs, it doesn't matter whether these carbs are in a mars bar, a loaf of bread (or just a slice, if you're not that hungry), an apple or a pile of mashed potatoes.
Thanks so as long as you know how to carb count you can eat mostly anything in moderation

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
I was just wondering if some could explain how to carb count because I've been diabetic for 2 years now and don't have a clue how to I've litrely just been guessing what to take and this really don't help because my bloods go from high to low they just fluctuate would really appreciate if someone could just explain it because I don't have a clue thanks :)
Probably the easiest thing to do to get you started is buy the book carbs and cals.its very good for beginners. There are other books

Reactions: flexi06
D

Deleted Account

Thanks so as long as you know how to carb count you can eat mostly anything in moderation
Basically.

Some people feel some carbs are problematic because, for example, the blood sugar rise happens over a long period, so they decide to avoid those carbs but I was advised I could eat anything as long as I counted the carbs and correctly calculated the insulin dose.

If you are starting out with carb counting, I would suggest sticking with what you are eating today ... just count the carbs and calculate your insulin dose.

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no idea if you still need help but I thought I’d just break it down for you! So if you’re having a small snack such as a chocolate bar it usually just has ‘per bar’ written on the back but if it’s something like cereal, potatoes or yoghurt you need to weigh your food and look at how many carbs there is per 100g if you have weighed 125g (in weight) and the amount of carbs per 100g of your cereal is 72 then what you would do is:
72 divided by 100 = 0.72
Then
0.72 x 125 = amount of carbs
However if you having a food that gets heavier when cooked such as pasta then you have to weigh it before hand.
Most food has his much it is per one thing in the back of it and then you eventually learn things off by heart
(You can still guess once in a while tho, it’s okay!)

Reactions: Jayden2407