carb counting

Beth.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have a few questions, hope someone can help.

Just started carb counting, slowly starting to sink in with me. I would like to stick to 20 carbs a day. How much protein is adequate for each meal or total for the day. A little bit worried as to how much to have. I also react to cream, so wondered if any one could recommend an alternative. Lastly, I have read about ketones, do you all use a monitor and if so recommendation please. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Beth,

If you are going to aim for around 20g carbs a day, then you may find it useful to look at the dietdoctor website.
They do a 2 week menu planner aimed at exactly that carb figure, and give portion sizes, etc, as well as a shopping list, if you want to use it.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/meal-plan/get-started-challenge-week-1

Now, obviously, if you can't tolerate dairy, then you would have to do some substitutions, but even if you don't use the menu, it will give you a rough idea of portions, etc.

As for substitutions for cream, you could try coconut cream. The brand Maggi do it in a powdered form (like powdered milk), which is very handy for spooning into coffees (I am drinking one as I type). Other alternatives might be soya cream, and I think I once saw an almond cream.

I'm not great with whey in dairy products, but as long as I choose ones with a low whey content (butter, hard cheese, and cream) I seem to be OK. Do you know which part of the cream makes you react?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you can use almond milk instead of milk , he unsweetened kind of cause.
I don´t know what you can switch cream for, but if it only is go get another kind of fat then macadamia nuts are quite fine as they are almost pure fat... and avocado is also mostly fats.. if you don´t wan´t too much animal fat you can eat lean meat and then poure olive oil over your salats instead...

one can also buy ketone paper sticks at the pharmacie , where one do pee on them in the morning and thereby see at what level ones ketones are... but I don´t know if those sticks are very acurate anyways... good luck with the 20 grams of carbs a day, i still haven´t tried to go that low, please keep reporting on how you go on .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Which diabetes medications (if any) are you taking?

Protein is a mute point. People have different ideas, and even the experts disagree on recommended quantities because much depends on your age, your sex, your level of activity, and other health conditions especially kidney related ones.

Personally I eat the same amount I always have, or perhaps a bit more because I eat more eggs now that I did before.

Beth.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
you can use almond milk instead of milk , he unsweetened kind of cause.
I don´t know what you can switch cream for, but if it only is go get another kind of fat then macadamia nuts are quite fine as they are almost pure fat... and avocado is also mostly fats.. if you don´t wan´t too much animal fat you can eat lean meat and then poure olive oil over your salats instead...

one can also buy ketone paper sticks at the pharmacie , where one do pee on them in the morning and thereby see at what level ones ketones are... but I don´t know if those sticks are very acurate anyways... good luck with the 20 grams of carbs a day, i still haven´t tried to go that low, please keep reporting on how you go on .
Thank you for replying Freema, I come out in small read raised dot like size spots when I eat cream and soft cheese, which spread if I scratch them. Only on my hands, as I very rarely used cream in the past I never let it bother me, but I have started to use cream in my coffee. I shall look out for coconut cream. Any advice on my protein intake?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had great results returning to low carb - but I am a long time low carber on Atkins. I can't go as low as 20 gm without feeling dreadful - so I don't. I just lower my carbs so my BG levels are normal. I eat anything without carbs, all meat, fish seafood eggs, a bit of cheese but not a lot and not often, lots of salads, low carb veges and berries.
I do not bother about ketones, and just let that part of my metabolism get on with things - if you are eating low carb then ketones should be in your blood and urine - but not all the time, I let them do their own thing. If you are low carbing and your BG levels are low they are not dangerous.
You might like to look at Atkins as I eat all the things for Atkins Induction and the lower rungs of the carbohydrate ladder, up to berries - if you look at Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution all should be made clear.
It is thought of as old hat now, but it is very effective. I went from full blown diabetic to 'no further action' in 80 days.
My numbers drop lower as each week goes by and I can go on eating this way for ever, no problem.
I find that the source of my carbs is important - I cant eat 10gm of carbs from lentils without going high but 10 gm of carbs from berries - no problem.
You could try coconut milk in place of cream, as you do need to eat fats with your proteins for best effect.
Check with your meter, but reduce carbs before proteins, as breaking down protein seems to be delayed if fat is available freely.

Beth.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, just seen your last post. I take 1 40g gliclazide am and 1 with my evening meal (80g in total) and 4 500g SR just before bed to reduce sensitivity. Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, just seen your last post. I take 1 40g gliclazide am and 1 with my evening meal (80g in total) and 4 500g SR just before bed to reduce sensitivity. Thanks

In that case, you need to be very careful in reducing your carbs, to avoid risk of hypos.
I suggest that if you want to lower your carbs, you do it very slowly, testing your blood glucose as you do so, and consulting with your health team about reducing medications as you progress.

Reactions: Beth.uk

Beth.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had great results returning to low carb - but I am a long time low carber on Atkins. I can't go as low as 20 gm without feeling dreadful - so I don't. I just lower my carbs so my BG levels are normal. I eat anything without carbs, all meat, fish seafood eggs, a bit of cheese but not a lot and not often, lots of salads, low carb veges and berries.
I do not bother about ketones, and just let that part of my metabolism get on with things - if you are eating low carb then ketones should be in your blood and urine - but not all the time, I let them do their own thing. If you are low carbing and your BG levels are low they are not dangerous.
You might like to look at Atkins as I eat all the things for Atkins Induction and the lower rungs of the carbohydrate ladder, up to berries - if you look at Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution all should be made clear.
It is thought of as old hat now, but it is very effective. I went from full blown diabetic to 'no further action' in 80 days.
My numbers drop lower as each week goes by and I can go on eating this way for ever, no problem.
I find that the source of my carbs is important - I cant eat 10gm of carbs from lentils without going high but 10 gm of carbs from berries - no problem.
You could try coconut milk in place of cream, as you do need to eat fats with your proteins for best effect.
Check with your meter, but reduce carbs before proteins, as breaking down protein seems to be delayed if fat is available freely.
Thank you will have a look at the Atkins induction now. I have been diabetic for a long time, bit silly me carried on as if I was not. 3 weeks ago my blood sugar was 33 may have been higher as the nurse said the monitor reads HI when it 33 and over. I am now Downto 12 in the morning by just reducing carbs but not counting. I was put on the gliclazide straight away, so this onbviously has some effect. I managed this in about 5 days, but still high so want to put more of an effort into carb awareness.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Beth.uk Depending on what it is about cream that doesn't agree with you, watch out for the Maggi coconut milk powder as it contains milk protein. Other brands do not have this. I buy mine on Amazon.

Reactions: Brunneria

Beth.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Beth.uk Depending on what it is about cream that doesn't agree with you, watch out for the Maggi coconut milk powder as it contains milk protein. Other brands do not have this. I buy mine on Amazon.
Hi, I don't really know, I remember also a long time ago, I was given powdered potato and the same thing happened. Willing to try different things. I have tried almond milk, soya milk and oaty but do not like them in tea. So having cream in coffee seemed a second alternative. (I am normally a tea drinker) tried going without but not the same and tea stains the teeth dreadfully. Rather liked the cream in coffee. thanks

Beth.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In that case, you need to be very careful in reducing your carbs, to avoid risk of hypos.
I suggest that if you want to lower your carbs, you do it very slowly, testing your blood glucose as you do so, and consulting with your health team about reducing medications as you progress.
That's is sound advice, just want to get It down, as the DN scared me with talk off kidney damage and dialysis. Just tested now before eating I am 7.6. Thank you so much to you and everyone else who has given me advice. X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt that you will be able to get down to low amounts of carbs when taking those tablets - be aware that low carb eating is VERY effective in reducing BG levels, particularly if you eat fats with it - you could easily hypo if you don't consult your doctor about stopping the Gliclazide when your BG goes low. Otherwise you'll be eating carbs to counteract the effect of the tablets you take to lower your BG - not a good situation.

Beth.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I doubt that you will be able to get down to low amounts of carbs when taking those tablets - be aware that low carb eating is VERY effective in reducing BG levels, particularly if you eat fats with it - you could easily hypo if you don't consult your doctor about stopping the Gliclazide when your BG goes low. Otherwise you'll be eating carbs to counteract the effect of the tablets you take to lower your BG - not a good situation.
I have read that before about gliclazide, what I plan to do, and I am not sure if this is be being naive, was to get down lower then to see my diabetic nurse about stopping gliclazide. I have an appointment with her on May 12.