1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carb counting

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by taurusmmuk, Dec 10, 2012.

1. taurusmmuk

taurusmmuk Type 2 · Member

I am just learning about carb counting and would like to know if anyone here has used a set of food weighing scales called
    "Salter Nutri-Weigh Slim". The scales calculate calories, total weight, fat content, protein, salt, carb & fiber.
    My question is:- do I have to subtract the fiber content from the carb value or do the scales do this automatically.

one other question:- is there a book, about carb counting I am new to this and a bit lost. I was diagnosed 3 months ago and had a second blood test 6 weeks later, my 3 month avg' was 6.3, so my doctor said I was "borderline diabetic" and she would see me in 12 months time. Should I go back and ask for a course with a dietician. I have lost 9kg, since I was diagnosed and my blood pressure has dropped to just over normal (self administered). Alas my weight loss has stalled and I need to tweak my diet to get optimum nutrition for the lowest calorie count that I can manage. I have always enjoyed "carbohydrate food" but now need to keep to the good stuff mainly, allowing for some indulgence very occasionally.

I find this site invaluable and couldn't have got to where I am without it, the only problem is that there is so much information it takes a lot of time to go through it all. Also I find that some theories are a bit off the wall so a distillation process has to be engaged.

Thanks for any help, Jim.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook