1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carb counting

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by taurusmmuk, Dec 10, 2012.

1. taurusmmuk

taurusmmuk Type 2 · Member

I would like to know if anyone has used a set of food weighing scales by Salter, called "Nutri-Weigh Slim". The scales calculate total weight, calories, fat, protein, salt, carbs & fiber. Do the scales automatically deduct the fiber content from the carbs?
    I would also like to know if there is a book about carb counting because there is so much conflicting advice on the internet my head is swimming with stats’? I had a reasonable knowledge of Glycemic Load theory because I was a fan of Patrick Holford & Nigel Denby before I was diagnosed with T2, 3 months ago, and have a good idea what I should be eating. I was sent out by my doctor into a strange new world of restricted eating and not too much information.

I ate what I thought was a reasonable diet (helped by this site) and lost about 9kg. I had a blood test about 6 weeks ago and my 3 month avg’ was 6.3. My doctor said that I was now “borderline diabetic again” and she would see me in 12 months. Pleased but dumbfounded.

Alas my weight loss has stalled and I need to tweak my diet to get optimum nutritional benefit from the lowest calorie count that I can manage, allowing for occasional indulgences.
    Although this site has been invaluable it has a myriad number of theories about diabetic eating and some are slightly off the wall and some are on the other side of the wall so I have to determine what is fact or otherwise. With help I will persevere and thanks for any help.
    Jim.

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

A good book that I use for reference is The Calorie Carb & Fat Bible.

3. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi taurusmmuk, I have a set of Salter 1440's which do a similar thing and calculates calories, fat, cholesterol, fibre, protein, sodium and carbohydrates. See pic below.

[​IMG]

I bought them when I was using insulin to help tell me the carbohydrate content of foods, TBH the foods list seemed mainly aimed at USA customers and the fact that it took so long scrolling through all manor of foodstuffs Id never heard of so I never used its food lists.

I ended up just using the scales normally and looking up the carbs in either the collins carb book (not bad/some errors) or the Calorie, carb and Fat Bible (unbeatable) and cross referencing the info.

The only things I weigh out now are my breakfast cereal and dry pet food for dog, I actually found my blood glucose meter much more useful in finding out what I could and couldnt eat :D

4. elainechi

elainechi · Well-Known Member

got my scales free from the diabetic clinic for my daughter...but my mum bought a set too...the carb and cals book and on i pod and androud are useful as well....not sure if they deduct fibre any of them but the carbs given work to the glucose meyer well enough....hope this helps xx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook