1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carb counts

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jackshill, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Jackshill

Jackshill Type 2 · Newbie

hi to all..
    I'm still taking the meds (fewer than I was), but I've mostly got my blood sugars down through weight loss and reduced carbs. I've done this through strict denial, eg carbs are bad so don't eat any, or hardly any.
    My question is: (having searched for carb counts or weights on the web)
    Is there a definitive carb count manual anywhere? I know people talk about grams of carbs, but what informs their advice. How many carbs are good or bad , what is the carb count of different foods etc?
    More specifically how do you count your carbs

I know I'm not alone anymore!

2. Tracey69

Tracey69 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    I am a T1 diabetic and my diabetic nurse suggested buying Carbs and Cals book on line it's written by chris cheytte.
    I have found it really help full.
    Well done on the weight loss.
    Take care
    Tracey

3. Carbdodger

Carbdodger · Well-Known Member

Hello there
    My lifeline when I went low carb was the Collins little gem calorie count book. It's about £5. Ignore the calorie count column and just refer to the carb column. At first I weighed everything to get an idea of how many carbs were in a serving. After a while it will be something you just know. I've settled at around 30g of carb a day mainly from veg and berries. Been like this for around 3 years and never felt better. Love this way of eating and never bored with my food.
    Cd

4. syb

syb · Member

hi all
    carbdodger , what is your blood ranges on a 30g low carb diet , at the moment im just doing my own way of thinking low carb , loads veg , chiken , ect I don't weigh it .

don't you think 30g is low?

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The Calorie Carb & Fat Bible is an excellent reference book.

6. ShellyC23

ShellyC23 LADA · Well-Known Member

Carbs and Cals book is very good. You can also get an iPod app but since a recent update mine no longer works !!! :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook