Carb cravings since lifting weights

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started lifting weights in the few months and since then I have been getting really bad carb cravings about once a week. I am diet controlled and tried raising my carbs through the week slightly to help but my weight loss stalled. I am on 30g carbs per day but when the cravings hit it's really bad. I have tried ignoring it and it just gets worse. Am wondering whether my body needs to have a high carb day (well high for me) once a week that I can factor in. Has anybody else had something similar and what did you do?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started lifting weights in the few months and since then I have been getting really bad carb cravings about once a week. I am diet controlled and tried raising my carbs through the week slightly to help but my weight loss stalled. I am on 30g carbs per day but when the cravings hit it's really bad. I have tried ignoring it and it just gets worse. Am wondering whether my body needs to have a high carb day (well high for me) once a week that I can factor in. Has anybody else had something similar and what did you do?

I have the same problem... I think you should right away eat an egg and a handfull of nuts and some cheese and a tiny little bit of carbs after that.. but remember if you keep on doing weight lifting you will be better at storing glucose in muscles as your insuline resistance lowers so don´t panik...it does do a great difference , already now i get much better results when eating higher amounts of carbs my blood glucose does not raise as much as I would have expected...

In two month I have gained 2.5 kg muscle mass, you can do that too...

my weight loss has stalled too :sour::sour::sour: don´t like that part, but my fat mass has gone down though

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I increased my vegetables, when I increased my weights, not through carb craving but, to ensure I was getting enough nutrients in. You may also find a head of lettuce helps to make you feel full.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low carb is supposed to be good for endurance sports, I don't know if anyone low carbs with high impact exercise.
I don't low carb, but I find I carb load more, as I quickly burn it off.

Reactions: Ultramum and Freema

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have kept a log on my phone for over 18 months but after a plateau have been keeping a written daily record. Just looked back through and I get the carb cravings every Tuesday, I hadn't noticed until I looked back. That's day 3 of my 5 day weigh lifting week so next week am going to plan a heavy carb day of around 200g but within my allowed calories for then and see if it works. Will see how badly it affects my bg's and play around with it until I find a sweet spot.