Type 1 Carb question

Blue2

Hi all. I have just had my dinner and the carb value was 20g of which 1g was sugar. Within an hour my BG levels have dropped dramatically, do you think this is because only 1g was sugar.

I am on a pump and don’t usually have these issues with food.

D

Deleted Account

I would not expect the sugar to delay carb digestion.
Was your meal fatty? Fat may delay carb digestion.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Could be any one or a dozen of a hundred and one things, @Blue2 .

Your bolus dose has clearly got to work before the 20g carbs turned into glucose and got in stream, and that could have happened for a whole lot of reasons. For example:

Too big a time gap between the bolus and eating - the insulin gets to work before the food is digested, so the glucose will be playing catch up with the insulin - every 5 mins added on to 20 mins after bolusing can make a serious difference.

Type of carb - sure, all carbs turn to glucose eventually, but they do so at very different rates and that makes a major difference to pre-bolus timing: piece of bread, I'll heavily pre-bolus for that cos that's fast, some pulses/beans, hardly any pre-bolus at all cos they're slow.

Were you talking and not chewing that much when eating? - you can eat exactly the same meal, if you bolt it down without chewing it that much, it's going to take longer for the partially chewed lumps to get digested and end up in stream if you've been chatting instead of chewing.

Maybe you were already on a downward slide going into the meal? Easy to see on cgm, not so easy on strips.

And then there's the other variables: wrong colour of socks!

Reactions: EllieM

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Blue2,
What was the food you ate and what did the actual carb content information read as?
Plus what other food accompanied your meal?
And how did you calculate your pump bolus for this meal?

Blue2

Thanks all for your comments. I think it was just a strange one off.

As Scott-C says wrong socks

david.bligh

As you’ve mentioned out of 20g, only 1g was ‘of which sugars’, it seems you’ve had a very low GI food. Eg if you had 20g of haribo, the ‘of which sugars’ would likely be about 19g, and would hit your body quickly. Low GI foods hit the body much slower

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks all for your comments. I think it was just a strange one off.

As Scott-C says wrong socks
Could you answer my question though ??