Carb Tolerance ...

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In October 2014 I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic. By pure good fortune, I happened across this amazing website and received the best information. I immediately bought a meter, went LCHF and within no time had lost nearly 2 stones, bringing me now to just over 8 stones.

My question is this - is there any evidence to suggest that substantial (and maintained) weight-loss increases tolerance to carbs, as seems to be the case for me?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well there's you for a start.. looks like pretty good evidence to me.
You may well have "fixed" the metabolic derangement that was leading to Type 2 and recovered good insulin regulation by loosing some visceral fat around your liver and pancreas. Thus your body now works as it should and your diet is keeping you in a good place by not over stressing your body.

Reactions: Jemz and Lynn1

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In simple terms I believe so. Less weight = less fat in the liver and pancreas meaning they can work better to lower blood sugars, which in turn will increase your ability to process carbs. I’m sure someone will come along with a more scientific explanation!

Reactions: Jemz and Lynn1

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
My question is this ... why lose more unless you feel the need? That's not a lot of weight you are carrying

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My question is this ... why lose more unless you feel the need? That's not a lot of weight you are carrying

I get the impression that the OP means that she is maintaining her weight rather than gaining or losing.

Reactions: Lynn1

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've no intention of losing any more weight. Went down to 7st 13lbs at one point and looked positively scrawny! At only 4ft 11ins, weighing just above 8 stone looks about right to me.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I took that the other way ... my fault :( Long time no see :)

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I took that the other way ... my fault :( Long time no see :)
Yep, you too!

I bothered the hell out of this website when first diagnosed. Now I feel the situation is under control, I've recently left you all in peace!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, you too!

I bothered the hell out of this website when first diagnosed. Now I feel the situation is under control, I've recently left you all in peace!
Come back.. I reckon at least one posting in the success stories thread is warranted..

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've no intention of losing any more weight. Went down to 7st 13lbs at one point and looked positively scrawny! At only 4ft 11ins, weighing just above 8 stone looks about right to me.
Well done Lynn Great loss
I am probably same height as you ..... although I like to lay claim to another 1/2 inch
Weight wise we are several body sizes apart ..... Am hoping to trim down with the great advice I am picking up here

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done Lynn Great loss
I am probably same height as you ..... although I like to lay claim to another 1/2 inch
Weight wise we are several body sizes apart ..... Am hoping to trim down with the great advice I am picking up here

Convinced LCHF is the way to go, both for improving BS and maintaining weight loss.

Good luck!

Reactions: Jemz

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In October 2014 I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic. By pure good fortune, I happened across this amazing website and received the best information. I immediately bought a meter, went LCHF and within no time had lost nearly 2 stones, bringing me now to just over 8 stones.

My question is this - is there any evidence to suggest that substantial (and maintained) weight-loss increases tolerance to carbs, as seems to be the case for me?

Many people on this sitel, will say that this is not the case, but in my opinion you are correct. The reason for pre-diabetes is excess weight, as you shed it, you become more and more insulinsensitive. As long as you keep your weight at your current level, you can enjoy carbs, but if you become overweight again, the sugars are gonna increase.

Enjoy your carbs, in a wise way, good luck and congratulations with weightloss.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people on this sitel, will say that this is not the case, but in my opinion you are correct. The reason for pre-diabetes is excess weight, as you shed it, you become more and more insulinsensitive. As long as you keep your weight at your current level, you can enjoy carbs, but if you become overweight again, the sugars are gonna increase.

Enjoy your carbs, in a wise way, good luck and congratulations with weightloss.
I’ve had predaibetes, Diabetes and now type 1 insulin dependent diabetes and o have maintained my current weight of 54 kg for over 25 years give it take a few pounds. So for me, it certainly isn’t fat on my body that causes diabetes, nor do I have any kind of carb tolerance.
So ....it’s individual. That’s what are meters are for. I’m not saying losing fat won’t help, it’s just not going to be enough for some of us

But CONGRATS on the weight loss. Job well done an sim sure it was hard work!!!