Carbimazole And White Blood Cell Count?

A

asparagusp

Has anyone experienced low white blood cell count with being on Carbimazole?

A

asparagusp

Please answer! It's relevant. I have a cold and there's a possibility I can't fight the infection due to taking this godam drug. I anticipate a blood test!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have low white blood cell count but not from
Carbimazole?!!!

What do you mean you anticipate a blood test? You can only get this result from a blood test anyway....

A

asparagusp

I have low white blood cell count but not from
Carbimazole?!!!

What do you mean you anticipate a blood test? You can only get this result from a blood test anyway....
Thanks for your reply. I anticipate having a blood test - sorry I omitted "having" Have you had bone marrow transplants or are you treating it through diet?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have had breast cancer and was on a drug called Letrozole.
I had to stop it in January due to the awful side effects.

Since having treatment my full blood counts havent been good. However, the last two have been significantly low on white cells and the breakdown of the white cells.

Medicines can affect white bloods so I am waiting for 4-6 weeks before having another full blood count. That will be enough time for the tablets to be out of my system. If they still come back low then I will be referred to a haemotologist.
I am lucky, as being diabetic I get tests dine regularly. Normally after breast cancer, mastectomy and rads blood tests arent done to monitor. Breast consultants normally only arrange the annual mammograms. I am lucky being diabetic and having gastro problems too that my GP and gastro chap analyse my bloods often.
So at the moment I have about 2-4 weeks until I have another blood count done. No good worrying. Whatever will be, will be.

I also have incredible lumbar pain for months now. Have had one scan for bone cancer ok but got to wait till March for the MRI. This will find out if cancer is secondary in bones.

Why are you concerned about Carbimazole and your bloods? Have you had initial ones that are causing your GP alarm?

A

asparagusp

Sorry to hear about your illnesses and pray all will be well with you soon. Carbimazole is known to decrease your blood count after a time to dangerous levels and you are advised when you have an infection to have blood count. I have a cold and an eye infection. I am just back from the doctor (emergency appointment) and she gave me the blood test there and then. Plus antibiotic eye drops. I should know by tomorrow if I have to stop taking Carbimazole which would seem a shame given I am nearing the end of treatment!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Aaaaawww, sorry to hear that you are possibly having baf side effects too.

Sometimes, I do wonder if I have worse reactions to anything with "ozole" on the end of medications-... especially as the effects may not appear immediately.

If the white cell count is abnormal, what are the outcomes likely to be??

I'm ok with what ever happens, happens now.. I will always try to fight to the end, in my own way but acceptance in our brains has to be gained on health matters to help fighting on in a lot of physical ways....