Carbo hydrates/spikes

Trinkwasser

graham64 said:
Hi Geoff,
Welcome on board, a great first posting you seem to have got your diabetes under control your input will be most welcome :D

Regards
Graham

Agreed, that's virtually a FAQ!

You're drinking the wrong wine though, try some dry reds. Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon are my favourites, closely followed by all the others, Rioja, Chianti and some nice Bordeaux have BG and BP benefits in one glass besides tasting rather good!

queenie01

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can't dos and won't dos
Hi Just wanted to know why are you buying test strips, you are entitled to them free! I am under the diabetic nurse at local GP, but I have always had free supplies of everything I need and I test 4 times per day - I get strips , softclix needles, tablets etc. Have you registered for medical exemption certificate. I am a type 2 (18 years diagnosed) who has recently gone over to insulin (still take 2 x 500mg metformin), the carbohydrate rates are even more important I've found since being on insulin and am finding it hard to adjust thinking to under 50 gms a day.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Queenie and welcome to the forum.

There is a great deal of controversy currently about getting prescriptions for test strips because many PCTs are refusing to fund them and have instructed GPs to stop prescribing them. This is a cost-cutting exercise and is completely at odds with government guidelines, but nonetheless it is happening. Every patient who is on insulin should automatically be prescribed test strips, but we are hearing of some GPs who are trying to discourage insulin users to not test or to redically reduce the number of tests. You are one of the lucky ones as your GP seems to be on your side.

There have been several threads discussing this over the last year or so that this has been going on. Here's a link to the current one
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9340

Incidentally, not all diabetics get free prescriptions - you only qualify if you are receiving medication. If you are diet-controlled then you don't qualify for exemption.