Carbs Advice and Help .

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are judgemental
Thanks for your support everyone. I really need help with my BS controls and general diabetic condition. May start a new thread with where I'm at, but carbs are part of the problem tho.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your support everyone. I really need help with my BS controls and general diabetic condition. May start a new thread with where I'm at, but carbs are part of the problem tho.
Yes start a new thread. I found it really helpful . See you there :)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

They certainly are; try and read up on the low carb stuff. If possible get the Dr Bernstein book (Diabetes Solution) and drop your carb consumption to whatever level you need to go to normalise your blood sugars.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK @Happyone you have your own thread! So give us some info about yourself. Are you Type1 or Type 2? How long have you been diabetic? What are your recent blood test results? Do you need to lose weight? What do you want to ask us? Are you on any diabetes medication?

Now I'll go away and let someone sensible answer any questions you may have :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
@Happyone

Reading your profile states - as a Type2 on insulin .
So I will place this in the Type2 insulin user's forum .

Hope you get some replies soon .

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi everyone, thanks for your helpful comments. So I will start at the beginning.

I'm 68, retired, are a New Zealander and have had diabetes for 22 years. During this time I was on metformin and glicazide and managing my diabetes with no change or problems with my lifestyle apart from weight management. Control was OK apart from the odd glitch and high blood pressure (for which I also take medication). I was living in London for this 20 years, and found my GP very good at helping me manage my BS control. We worked together and he listened to my thoughts and opinions allowing me to research and manage my own control. I also attended a few seminars run by diabetics in London which I found very helpful and supportive.
Since then I have retired back to NZ 2 years ago and this is where my problems start. First NZ has a small population so support offered is reduced and I feel like I'm battling on my own. To make thing worse, I had to come of metformin 8 months ago as my lactate levels where very high which metformin can cause (they say) and is dangerous. Soooo I'm now on insulin Protaphane x2 and novarapid x3 per day, plus glicazide. and my BS are all over the place. I weigh 77 klg, 5.5 height and my last Hba1c was 46. BUT my daily BS readings are between 12.8 and 5.3 with a few 3.4 (hypos) my diabetic nurse said my Hba1c was low because of all the hypos, and that I must be having them at night when I'm not aware because I'm usually 10 - 12 every morning. I also talked to her about carbs which she said I must eat and if I eat more of anything then just inject more novarapid which I'm not happy about as more food = chance to put on weight. I feel out of control inject 5 times a day and take BS up to 6 times a day FED UP and on my own, you guys are my last resort. Don't know how or if anyone out there can help, or what the starting point is. Have been reading the feeds which I have found informative and using google for information now I'm on insulin. This has changed my life so much, I understand it is my life and my problem, but do I want to spend my last years been so stressed and feeling out of control?

Well that is it, a lot to take in, but would appreciate any thoughts. (good or bad or even a kick up the bum) I know I'm not the only one out there. ;)

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi happy one I am sorry to hear your having a rough time. I use an app/book called carb and Cals it is the best thing ever!!! Basically a collection of food/drink in pictures with selections of weights with all carb calories etc information and it helps me count. Seen a big improvement since using it and it helps a lot when I eat out. Don't know if that can help at all

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@ Happyone: I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling very alone in managing your diabetes - I understand how that feels. I've been diabetic for about 23 years and feel as though my care has been a bit lacking and haphazard over the years at various stages - often left to my own devices to suss it all out.

I'm new to insulin myself so cannot consider myself to be at all knowledgeable on the subject, I'm just finding my own way - but I've certainly made great improvements in my levels since I also reduced my carbs considerably - I had been eating healthily for all of my diabetic 'career' but had gradually lost control over the last few years and went onto insulin in March. I'd been doing a lot of reading recently and the low carb approach was getting a lot of attention and seemed to offer very good results, so I decided to give it a try and along with the insulin, I've seen not only significant reduction in my actual BG levels, but they're steadier too - the graphs in the app I use to record them cover a much narrower band of numbers - maybe my lowest and highest in a day are 5 apart, where they'd been 15 or more a few months ago.

Diet and insulin need to be balanced and I see them as totally intertwined - changes to one will impact on the other. As a generalised comment I would suggest that you need to spend some time studying what and when you eat and take your insulin and your BGs and look at the patterns. If there are massive fluctuations it would suggest that your eating/insulin patterns are wrong. For example, if you're having hypos in the early hours but waking with high BG, then a suitable supper or bedtime snack to even that out might be required, or a lower insulin dose in an evening. It could be that you're on the wrong sort of insulin regimen for you - my DN did say that if mine didn't suit me, there were lots of types and combos to try until one did. I feel that I've ascertained that in my case, the insulin works quite slowly and seems to do quite a good job at evening things out. I'm on a combination insulin that I inject twice a day that combines a basal slow acting insulin and a faster acting mealtime one - maybe something like that would work better for you and reduce the no of injections.

I'm sorry that being on insulin has made you feel so stressed - I feel somewhat the opposite - having resisted going on it for at least a year - it has actually given me back control - I'm managing my diabetes much better than I was before (i.e I'm doing a better job of looking after myself and the regimen actually works for me too) - I think the change has been a bit of a kick in the bum to be honest and I've approached it as a new diagnosis and started afresh in my thinking.

Maybe if you outline a typical daily routine for you (when you eat, how many carbs etc.), the more experienced ones here can offer some insight. Chin up - I bet with a little detective work and some tweaks, things can be improved for you.

Reactions: 3 people

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@BooJewels

Thanks so much for your reply. I guess my main point was that after 20 years successfully managing my Diabeties with medication and the support of a great GP, I now find myself struggling with the change to insulin. It appears that after reading a few posts it is down to ourself to work out what works best and not rely on the "experts". That's why I think this forum is so important and will watch and follow as advice given out helps me feel a bit more confidant.
The other problem I have is an over active thyroid which affects hungar and weight management. Have been waiting to have this sorted out, but everything's seems to work slowly here.

We are not alone ;)

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Happyone

Good morning. Just a quickie before I hit the shower. Whilst BG control is pretty much down to ourselves to establish a good regimen - it has to be by its nature - doing so in combination with others more knowledgeable is also useful - whether that's your healthcare team or peeps here.

It would seem that diabetes is very much personal, in that there is no one size fits all solution. We do each have to work out for ourselves what works for us and eliminate the practices that don't help us (wrong foods etc.). I managed my own diabetes well for about 20 years - but what I used to do simply didn't work any more, so it is an evolving condition and we have to adapt at intervals as we go along.

You've just reached one such stage and need to figure out what is now going to work for you, as what you did previously simply won't work any more - we're very similar in that respect. Except, thankfully, the switch to insulin in my case has been a good one and my first routine was worked well for me - I could just as easily have found myself battling to get it right as you have. I did however keep a detailed diary and numbers for a month previously so that my DN could study that and decide what would likely to work best for me and my circumstances - maybe yours didn't do that.

At the moment all we can do for you really is shout encouragement from the sidelines, but if you want specific advice to help you improve your regimen, you'll need to give more details of what you eat etc. so that we can try and work out why yours isn't currently working smoothly - I would be prepared to bet that some changes in habits might make a big difference.

As I said, I've started doing the LCHF eating method - low carbs, high fat. Having lost a lot of weight since being diabetic and kept it off, I still have a chunk to lose and whilst I'm eating more fat than I ever have and am not hungry at all, I am losing weight too. I'm just abut to do my weekly Sunday morning weigh-in and think I'll be down 11lbs (5kg) in the 2 months since I started it.

See the low carb diet forum for more information.

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@BooJewels

Soooo, looks like I need to take more control, match insulin against what I eat looking for high or low BS spikes. Have been researching lchf diets and feel that is the way to go, seems to be working for most people on this forum.

Well done on the weight loss, long may it continue. Your sharing has given me hope that all could work out, It means that nothing is gained without hard work. You seem to be so positive and I need to lift my depression and feeling out of control. Will talk to my GP next Wednesday when I have my annual check.
Thanks again, much appreciated.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Happyone

I'm afraid you are going to have to take ownership of your condition and wrestle it under control for yourself. I'm sure that you'll get help from your health professionals, but there's clearly lots of support and help to be had here too. But ultimately, you're the one whose health is at the core of it and you have to invest the effort to get the results - but it will be worth it - it can be a battle sometimes, but it is a classic case of 'effort in - rewards out' and you're in the driving seat - only you choose what food to pop into your mouth, no one else can control that for you. Others can help and guide you, but you're the one with the investment in the outcomes.

I may sound positive now, but there have been times until fairly recently when I really wasn't and I've had a pretty torrid time getting to get to grips with it in recent times. Going on insulin has been a good move for me and the LCHF approach seems to be working for me too. Once you start to make changes and see results, it's encouraging and lifts the funk you're currently finding yourself under, I know that has worked for me in the last few weeks. It's the times when you're making efforts and not getting results that get demoralising - I've just had 18 months or more of that.

But it does get better - you just need to find what works for you - it's good that you're seeing your doctor soon - tell him how you're feeling - don't skirt around it, lay it on the table and if you need help, guidance or explanation - just ask for it - and don't walk out of the door until you feel that you've had it.

Good luck! :)