Carbs Allowed Per Day Help Please

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tell me your real secret on how you lost 2 1/2 stone. Only walking the dog?
"You can't out run a bad diet". Some people here can't excersize at all, but still lose weight low carbing. It's the food, more than motion.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
"You can't out run a bad diet". Some people here can't excersize at all, but still lose weight low carbing. It's the food, more than motion.
Wish I could hit the agree tick a few more times. There is enough kJ in a single slice of ordinary bread to do a 3km jog.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@wasdale
As you can see, it isn't quite so straightforward. It is dependant on individual reactions, body weight and the combination of other food types eaten at the same time. This is one reason why most of us here test before and after meals and make notes of the results.

Personally, I have 20g per meal that I may stretch to 30g if low GI and I've tested beforehand. You will also see that not everybody follows this based on their personal experiences. For instance, I can tolerate porridge for breakfast where others cannot. Conversely, others can tolerate grapes but I am unable to.

Consumption of fats with the meals in some cases moderates the rise in blood glucose at the expense of keeping it elevated for longer. That is, smaller rise but for more time. Sorry to make it sound so hard but one very quickly works it out and it becomes perfunctory.

Have fun,
Glenn

Reactions: wasdale

Snikpohnomis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been diagnosed now since April, the day after I cut out crisps, chocolate, cake & beer. I cut out bread, pasta and potatoes.
Every morning I have a fry up, I’m full all day, and my evening meal will be any meat, fish, chicken or shellfish, quite often thrown on the BBQ. I’m Never Hungry. I don’t count carbs , I don’t count calories I have just two cap fulls of milk in my coffee ( the little green cap from the top of the bottle, not a baseball cap ). If I fancy a pudding I have sugar free jelly, berries and squrty cream. Snacks are mixed nuts & porky scratching, pererami sticks. I don’t feel like I’m on a diet but I have lost so much weight.
27 April 24 stone - this morning 21stone 3lbs .. OH. T2 on Metformin.

Reactions: Crocodile

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed now since April, the day after I cut out crisps, chocolate, cake & beer. I cut out bread, pasta and potatoes.
Every morning I have a fry up, I’m full all day, and my evening meal will be any meat, fish, chicken or shellfish, quite often thrown on the BBQ. I’m Never Hungry. I don’t count carbs , I don’t count calories I have just two cap fulls of milk in my coffee ( the little green cap from the top of the bottle, not a baseball cap ). If I fancy a pudding I have sugar free jelly, berries and squrty cream. Snacks are mixed nuts & porky scratching, pererami sticks. I don’t feel like I’m on a diet but I have lost so much weight.
27 April 24 stone - this morning 21stone 3lbs .. OH. T2 on Metformin.
Great results in such a short time well done for taking control. Do you measure your blood sugars too?

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am

type 1 and for each meal I have 30 carbs I never or rarely snack? I think for men it's more. Can't you contact your diabetic nurse sure they would help.
Thanks but diabetic nurse in my surgery is no help & neither was the dietician

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 29 years IDD. I've never had a set amount of carbs to take, just adjust my insulin dose accordingly. However in the last few months I have switched to a low carb diet and cut down massively on bread, pasta, rice and dairy. my weight has gone down and my HBA1C reduced. Don't get hung up on carb intake. If your sugars are good, then just go with what your doing. ps. I feel better now than I have for a long time.
Thanks

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wasdale
As you can see, it isn't quite so straightforward. It is dependant on individual reactions, body weight and the combination of other food types eaten at the same time. This is one reason why most of us here test before and after meals and make notes of the results.

Personally, I have 20g per meal that I may stretch to 30g if low GI and I've tested beforehand. You will also see that not everybody follows this based on their personal experiences. For instance, I can tolerate porridge for breakfast where others cannot. Conversely, others can tolerate grapes but I am unable to.

Consumption of fats with the meals in some cases moderates the rise in blood glucose at the expense of keeping it elevated for longer. That is, smaller rise but for more time. Sorry to make it sound so hard but one very quickly works it out and it becomes perfunctory.

Have fun,
Glenn
Thanks