Sulky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arsenal
hi there.
Have been type 1for two years now.levels not to good,just been given a book by my nurse called carbs and calories.
It's gives over a thousand recipes in it including pizza chips white rice Yorkshire puds all things I've been avoiding.
It gives the weight and how many carbs in each dish.shes told me to eat what I like basically but to take one unit of insulin for every ten cabs.is this right.
Regards alan

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The 1:10 ratio is starting point that is often recommended by HCP's, the book is a great visual guide to carb counting and there's also a Carbs & Cal app which you may find useful too.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @noblehead this book and app is a God send!
Another good app is my fitness pal. You can scan barcodes of packaged foods and get the carbs for those too. Not a day goes by where I don't use either of these apps, I can't even remember what I did before them!

1:10 is the ratio I started with, your HCP will have a look at your readings at your next appointment and will make any necessary adjustments.

All the best, enjoy your meals!
Claire x

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sulky,
Carbs and cals app is fab! You'll learn carb content of your regular food fast.
I have stayed with the 1:10 ratio as this works for me but it can be some trial and error. Give it a go but my advice would be to keep a food diary and how much you inject so you can see which foods will cause big spikes. Good luck!