Carbs and insulin

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hope this doesnt sound like a dumb question,ive had diabetes for 42 years but still winging it day by day.
I would like to lose weight (again) and have always done Weight watchers with varying successes over the years.
Im keen to try the low carb option but is it the lack of insulin that helps with weight loss or the food you eat?
If i were to go a little higher than normal and took no insulin to correct it,would that result in weight loss? Im not talking about no insulin whatsoever but as little as possible.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't like the sound of "a little higher", but what sort of levels are you talking about? And how much insulin do you use?

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The weight loss comes because you are eating less calories than you are using to carry out your daily routine.

The low carb aspect means that you can use less insulin to control your blood sugars. If you carb count, you will know how much insulin you take for a set amount of carbs and alter accordingly.

Carbs are frowned on lately, more to do with how easily the body can convert them into fat, I believe.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: nessals946

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't like the sound of "a little higher", but what sort of levels are you talking about? And how much insulin do you use?
I suppose everyones level preference is different, but id be happy to let it run to around 12 before taking on more insulin.

Proto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I believe it is only the food intake that has an effect upon weight loss not the amount of insulin in the body. Insulin levels are caused by the amount of food needed to be dealt with. I am concerned with the concept of 'reducing insulin to lose weight'.

At the end of the day weight loss is achieved by reducing the total calories eaten. Insulin is essential to regulate blood glucose and prevent any complications resulting from high blood glucose levels.

The amount of insulin needed to bring blood sugar into range for a given amount of food is the amount of insulin needed.

I don't think you could gain any benefits by running your blood glucose higher. The only thing we know would happen is the increased risk of complications. Personally I try to keep in the range of 4-8 mmol/L with and average of around 6 mmol/L and I would be very uncomfortable (as in I would feel physically sick) sitting around 12 mmol/L.