Carbs in a Pint?

Codythechef

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's a reason it's called "Liquid Bread"...
I find that if I know how many beers I am going to drink, I bolus for them all at the same time and this works perfect for my levels. Alcohols dangerous to any type1 especially as u normally go to sleep soon after it but I am lucky enough to be on a pump and set a 2 hour temp basal to combat lows during sleep or eating a carb snack with no bolus on pump

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking as a Type 2 who is immoderately fond of beer (and whose immoderateness may have contributed in part to developing T2 in the first place).

My attitude is a bit like it was when (two decades ago now) I was a cigarette smoker. I never switched to "lite" cigarettes because I knew cigarettes were poison in pretty much whatever guise. (Eighteen years ago I gave up, "cold turkey").

Now, I do not consider carbs to be "poison" but I do know that extreme moderation in carbs has "reversed" my T2D. So I gave up beer completely for a while after diagnosis -- and even wine, but I resumed that fairly soon since the carb load of vino is negligible.

So now, I have a "carb budget" and it is very low -- 30g per day. Some days I allow it to be higher, perhaps 50g, and those are the few days when I have a pint of good beer (often at least 20g of carbs). When that happens I drink the best-quality beer possible, and f*** the carbs. "Lite" beer is h****p***, at least here in America. As long as the overall carb "budget" over a few days is reasonable, I don't care.

Admittedly, if you are on a very low carb lifestyle as I am, adding the beer means fairly extreme food restrictions. I'm happy with that. If I could get back to drinking, say, an average of one pint of beer a day while still keeping stringent control over the (overall) carb intake I would be very happy. I'm already pretty happy, but that would be the (forbidden) icing on the (forbidden) cake!

This is not something I would have done in the few months after diagnosis. I was too scared!

Last edited:

nicktot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone know how many carbs are in a pint of standard Lager (Fosters / Carlsberg etc.)
I remember reading somewhere it was about 7g - but I can't remember where and can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Also, there is never any nutritional info on the side of alcohol, v annoying!

Does anyone here inject (T1's) if they are drinking beer?
I'm 33 years type 1. On Friday after work I like 2 pints of real ale. Always have some crisps and inject 1.5 units of insulin per pint.