Carbs in Beer - Best UK Database?

Alan7008

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you really want to drink a beer or a cider and minimise your carb intake then it helps to have the data to inform your decision but I have struggled to find a useful database.
The best database that I have found is on the (free) "FatSecret" app which covers at least some of the common UK beers and ciders. One scary observation is that without having a database it is not at all obvious which beers and ciders are lower carbs than others. For example Stella Artois is (according to FatSecret) about 13g carbs per pint whereas Carlsberg is more than double this. Similarly Strongbow cider is about 30g carbs per pint but Magners cider is less than half this. So if you are going to drink a beer or a cider and want it to be a lower carb one then there is no substitute for a good database.
Any suggestions on useful UK databases?
PS - I'm not recommending diabetics to drink beer or cider but, if you are going to indulge in one, then best to choose a low carb one.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alan7008,

I think the reason you're struggling to find a decent database for carb content in beers/ciders, is because there is currently no requirement for the manufacturers to display the nutritional information of their products...

I'd hazard a guess that the majority of information online wrt alcohol and its carb content is more or less speculative. I suppose you could chase each company up directly, but for obvious reasons, that would be laborious and time consuming.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that there are plans to have nutritional information provided on packaging for alcohol products, but whether that was just an idea - or it actually materialises - is another thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I use the Fat Secret app and website as well, they have a Australian website and the app has a section for Australian food store and takeaways.

I found most Australian beers have a nutrition area on the label of most beers I have checked. My favourite beer is mid strength at 3.5% alcohol, and low carb at 6 grams carbs 285 ml pot (½ pint).

Reactions: Philb69