Carbs In Veg?

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
I assume you mean these.....
images

Do you have a cunning plan how to cook them?
Stick them in a stew to thicken the gravy instead of flour or arrowroot.

Reactions: Serena51

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Scallions = spring onion?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh dear - I have not considered that onions were relatively high carbs, as a root vegetable. Silly me! I see that a small onion is about 7 or 8 grams of carbs, and I regularly have been eating a whole small onion as part of a big breakfast. How depressing! I now need to portion control onions... :(

But thanks all for letting me know! Not sure how I missed this previously... wanton ignorance probably!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - I have not considered that onions were relatively high carbs, as a root vegetable. Silly me! I see that a small onion is about 7 or 8 grams of carbs, and I regularly have been eating a whole small onion as part of a big breakfast. How depressing! I now need to portion control onions... :(

But thanks all for letting me know! Not sure how I missed this previously... wanton ignorance probably!
I can't eat onions because they spike my BS. I have also (for the last 2 years) been severely limiting olives (which absolutely love) because I thought they were so high carb. Yesterday I actually looked at the label on the jar and was shocked to find they were ultra low carb. How could I have been so wrong.

This morning I had olives, avocado and feta cheese - and will have olives with my chicken salad for lunch. I am truly in heaven.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Me too! You learn something every day.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac and swede are notable exceptions to the root-veg rule. And celeriac makes fantastic mash!

Provided I can find celeriac here, does it make better mash than cauliflower does? I have tried cauliflower mash and it doesn't work for me. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Provided I can find celeriac here, does it make better mash than cauliflower does? I have tried cauliflower mash and it doesn't work for me. :)
What don't you like about cauli mash? Taste or texture?

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Just be sensible to stick the general low carb guidelines and trim it to the way your body reacts to each food by testing before and 2 hours after with a meter as your guide. Remember every individual diabetic reacts differently to different foods nutritional information on packs is unreliable. Also be aware carb content can vary greatly between different brands or seemingly minor variations of the same grocery item .
The 7 day, 30 day and 90 day averages you can read from your meter are a pretty good guide to how well you are driving down your HbA1c. Since I have driven my HbA1c down I now have changed my test schedule to one week of fairly intensive testing per month + on any occasion my daily routine changes or special meals holidays ...........

This chart is part of the key
hba1c-chart.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CF

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a jacket turnip today, was really good!
Finally managed to remember to buy some turnips to try. I was going to do jacket turnip but they were very small so just peeled and halved and put in with the roast chicken. Very good, will do them again but maybe roast separately with some parmesan and herbs. I am a big fan of swede, especially mashed, but thanks for introducing me to turnips as an alternative, I have only ever had them in stew before.

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
What don't you like about cauli mash? Taste or texture?
Fried grated cauliflour, subtly spiced, makes a reasonable rice substitute with a curry.