Carbs that sugar>

TheRightStuff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

I am well aware that there are simple carbs and complex carbs.

But when carb counting and doing your insulin-carb ratios how do people here treat "carbs that sugar"?

*As most (if not all) will know that on some food labels there will be the carb value in grams and then something like 'of which sugars ..(and another given value).

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You need to use the carb value (if you're in the US you will have to minus the fibre I think but not entirely sure)

If the amount of sugars is high though it may hit your system a lot faster - so you may need to consider this for the timing of your insulin, but a carb is a carb (any carb turns into glucose anyway when eaten) so needs to be dosed for

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

TheRightStuff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to use the carb value (if you're in the US you will have to minus the fibre I think but not entirely sure)

If the amount of sugars is high though it may hit your system a lot faster - so you may need to consider this for the timing of your insulin, but a carb is a carb (any carb turns into glucose anyway when eaten) so needs to be dosed for

Well this is the thing. I have seen some 'diabetic experts' - often with type 1 themselves saying to take away the fibre value from the carb value of any given food. But if a carb is a carb then . . . .

Though I don't understand the US relevance. A food label is a food label right? And most food comes from all over the place these days . . .I once did a weekly shopping check and the produce was from 17 different countries. o_O

It's hard to buy local when you want a banana in Britain, or strawberries in January :happy: How did our ancestors ever survive?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well this is the thing. I have seen some 'diabetic experts' - often with type 1 themselves saying to take away the fibre value from the carb value of any given food. But if a carb is a carb then . . . .

Though I don't understand the US relevance. A food label is a food label right?
In the UK (and most of the rest of the world), labels show fibre listed apart from the carbs.
In the US, labels have fiber included in the carbs and listed below the total carbs as 'of which fiber'.

Fibres are technically carbs, but because they aren't digested you don't have to count them.

An easy trick to know is to look at the spelling, does it say fibre (UK) or fiber (US).
When doing a google search on nitritional information, the results often say the source is the USDA, in which case you'll have to subtract the fiber.

• Useful
Reactions: HSSS and jjraak