Prediabetes Carbs

Dazzy1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good morning lovely people. 4th day on metformin and feeling better than ever. Just wondered how carbs is one supposed to have in a day 200gr? I'm pre diabetic and 162 kilos. I'm guessing the diabetic nurse will explain how many carbs on my first appointment?
Thank you and have a good day

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what your HbA1c was when you were diagnosed? I think its quite unusual to be on metformin if you are pre- diabetic. But I could be wrong.
I eat a lot fewer carbs than 200g per day and that has led to weight loss and better health generally.
Your Diabetes Nurse may or may not mention carbs on your first appointment and if she does it may not necessarily be the advice those of us with diabetes would give but listen anyway and then come back and let us know.

Dazzy1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The number was 44 I beleive. They decided to out ne on metmorfin because if my weight I think.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That makes sense because in some cases Metformin works as an appetite suppressant. I was diagnosed Type 2 in May and was started on Metformin, I tolerate it well now after a bit of stomach upset in the early days. I wasn't advised to eat low carb by my GP, but stumbled on this forum by chance and took up a low carb life style. I started on less than 100g/day and lost weight very quickly initially. I subsequently reduced my intake to 50-70g/ day and I’m still steadily loosing around 1lb/week. In five months I’ve lost 3st 10lbs and my HbA1c is now at a non diabetic level. I hope it works for you too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it will have been your weight. Metformin is an appetite suppressant so works better on people that are overweight.

As for how many carbs, if you have a meter this will help you answer the question. We all have different tolerance levels. Some people go less than 20g a day, others as high as about 120g. Testing before and 2 hours after meals will tell you at a glance if there are too many carbs in that meal for your body to cope with. If the rise from before to after is more than 2mmol/l there are too many carbs.

Be aware that the NHS recommends far more carbs than is good for us, so your nurse may not be as helpful as you hope.

Reactions: wolfie53

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs levels are a personal choice and when you get a meter you can see how different levels effect you. Some people prefer gradual reduction others jump straight in at lower levels.

I found 100g a good starting point for me to reduce my weight and blood glucose from about 350g but we all are at different places with weight, exercise, sleep , medication and stress all playing a part.