carbs...

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right so we need to take insulin when we eat carbs...so if we don't eat carbs we won't need any insulin am I right??

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Intuitively, yes, but diabetes is never that easy, is it?! When you eat your large intestine stretches as the food enters. This triggers glucogen production in anticipation of the meal that you are eating. So if you eat a significant amount of anything, including non-carb food, then you will experience an increase in your BGs. Small amounts of low carb food and you'll be ok. And don't eat too much protein, your body will convert some of that into protein after a few hours.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
princesskyra said:
Right so we need to take insulin when we eat carbs...so if we don't eat carbs we won't need any insulin am I right??
You'll still need to take your background insulin and maybe a small amount for your no-carb meals as SamJB says.

Today, for instance, I had a steak for lunch with a few leaves (no carbs) and still needed to inject 1.5 units of Novorapid to cover it.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Princesskyra, have u got the carbs and cals book? It's soooo helpful and easy to use. Full of pics of food and drink and portion sizes and gives u the amount of carbs in each thing. Highly recommend it, I bought mine on amazon for around £8 I think!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
princesskyra said:

If only life was so simple, you'll still need insulin no matter what you eat :)

Kimbag73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Background insulin never stop but for food don't take any for protein, vegetables or pulses. Anything very low GI doesn't need quick acting insulin. Cherrys you can eat and not inject. Ask your diabetes nurse/doctor about going on a DAFNE course. Beat thing I have done it is so liberating and enables you to feel much more in control

Kim x

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah the doc at the hospital ha:(s put me forward decrypt course because at the min I have no idea what I'm supposed to eat! :(

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
princesskyra said:

If only life was so simple, you'll still need insulin no matter what you eat :)

Me too. No foods free of injections for me. We are all different. What works for me does not necessarily work for others. Be guided by your meter measurements to find out how foods and beverages affect you.

twosweet

The best way to control your diabetes is to keep testing with your meter. See what food spikes you and what you can safely eat. Test before you eat, then an hour after and then again after 2 hrs . If you keep you sugar below 8.0, you are on the right track.

Some people want to be in the 4.0--5.0 range. Its a good range to be in.