1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cardiology risks removed from metformin packaging.

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by ickihun, Apr 30, 2018.

1. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting this @ickihun . I currently take 3 x 500mgs/day but my GP agreed with me at my next review we’d discuss reducing it. I want to stay on a small dose for all the other benefits even if my HbA1c stays low.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I have to put my mild heart disease down to long term use of metformin. Great kidney health too. I've had symptoms of diabetes 41yrs+ now. 21yrs have been on metformin (off only for 1 pregnancy and a burn out).
    I didn't have gallbladder issues after all. An infection in stomach/gut leaving me with IBS. Obviously to protect against lactic acidosis I stopped metformin and awaiting til iron deficiency anaemia has cleared up before I restart it. I've added weight thou but looking forward to losing it again. My back is taking the brunt of the added weight it seems as in the swimming pool yesterday I felt much lighter and had less stress on my joints. I'm hoping to go again next week. Money permitting as 4 of us. Like the 3 musketeers +1. Ha ha
    Metformin gave me my fertility back and my only 2 pregnancies were only possible because of it.
    A brilliant appetite suppressant and PCOS treatment. Also great protector, as we can see.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook