1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

cardiovascular disease risk

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by Cowboyjim, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Cowboyjim

Cowboyjim · Well-Known Member

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-12/wfbm-ssh122012.php

Study shows heart calcium scan predictive of diabetes-related death from cardiovascular disease

Current medical guidelines recommend treating all diabetes patients as high risk, but the Wake Forest Baptist study found that CAC can identify diabetes patients who are at very high risk for developing potentially fatal cardiovascular disease, as well as those who are at low risk.

"Our observations challenge accepted medical knowledge that all people with diabetes have the same risk. CAC is key in predicting the specific risk level," said Donald Bowden, Ph.D., professor of biochemistry at Wake Forest Baptist and senior author of the study, which is published online in the December issue of the journal Diabetes Care.

2. candyfloss

candyfloss · Well-Known Member

This sounds interesting and I would definately like to know if I am one of those with calcium build-up in the arteries of my heart.
    It states "it should provide more effective treatments and hopefully improve outcomes" for people with diabetes. Perhaps and please excuse my cynical nature but I dont see NICE approving CT scans for every diabetic anytime soon or ever for that matter. You would have tattoo the long term savings on their arms before they took a blind bit of notice.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook