Carnivore Corner

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
t was taken while filming with the Diet Doctor crew last week. They were in London for a few days shooting videos for the website.
Cool new pic.. I have a similar one from last year..
unnamed-2.jpg

Hope they get yours up a bit quicker!

M

Member496333

Oh my goodness. I just had the most amazing super fatty, super salty, super spicy pork belly. Pre-sliced and stir fried in a wok with goose fat until super crispy. Served with a heap of grated cheese melted throughout. Beyond tasty, and so nutritious I’m now younger than when I started.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my goodness. I just had the most amazing super fatty, super salty, super spicy pork belly. Pre-sliced and stir fried in a wok with goose fat until super crispy. Served with a heap of grated cheese melted throughout. Beyond tasty, and so nutritious I’m now younger than when I started.
Cheese and pork belly now that's an interesting combo.. just had the top half of a chicken.. hubs had the legs split a wing each.

Reactions: Member496333

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning!

Another Monday ramble. I spent the weekend in a field in Oxford feeding vegetarian and vegan ******, smoking and high hippies with rotting teeth their 'healthy and ethical' food and had to fend off AGAIN the stories about how the aspartame in my coffee will give me cancer, my eyes hurt from being almost permanently in the back of my head with the amount of eye rolling I did.

It was a no animal products field so I thought I'd manage on eggs, cheese and some salami I smuggled in but my suspicions are correct, eggs make me very hungry and by last night I was eating mushrooms and trying to score beef. I also watched everyone around me not being able to carry out more than a few hours work without flagging, constantly seeking out food and there were very few people that fell into a 'normal' weight category with a significant amount having magnificent abdominal girth. There was also lots of oneupmanship on who has the most conditions and diseases; dairy/wheat/gluten/soy allergies, mental health issues, mobility issues, ME, fibro, the bloke with no gallbladder who doesn't eat cheese but weighed around 25 stones and ate everything else...the list goes on.

So I'm another 2lbs down, numbers slightly increased to an average of around 4.5 over the last week, no idea why but I've dropped the metformin for the past two months so maybe it does have and impact? Who knows. I'll carry on and see what happens.

This weekend I'll be swapping muddy rigger boots and leggings for heels and a LBD and I can't wait, not my usual attire but I love strutting my stuff in a tight dress and fending off the looks of incredulity about my age.

Now onto farting.

Previous to going carni, the only time I ever farted was if I deliberately or unintentionally got carbed but I've been windy! Not hugely so but enough to make me think about what I've been eating and it's not carbs. There's no link to the food I've eaten which really is just meat and the occasional egg, bit of cheese and the cream in my coffee I've been drinking for 11 years.

Fellow carnivores, what are YOUR farting habits?

You probably caught a farty bug from all those vegans. ;)

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I wondered, have you all given up onions and garlic? I like those in my mince but wonder if they affect your digestive comfort compared to straight meat and salt.

Reactions: cloudreader

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I wondered, have you all given up onions and garlic? I like those in my mince but wonder if they affect your digestive comfort compared to straight meat and salt.

Garlic and onions are grown underground and are considered high carb. Thats one major reason that they are not used a lot on the LCHF WOE.

Reactions: Cocosilk
M

Member496333

In day-to-day cooking I don’t use onions but might use garlic if I’m cooking mushrooms in butter. I have given up all vegetables during the week besides perhaps the odd fresh chilli to spice up some beef or pork. I will use onions, peppers and tomatoes on the odd occasion, though. For example when making a cauldron of chilli on a weekend.

I’m personally not mega dogmatic about not having vegetables, although I do feel better without them.

Reactions: Cocosilk

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

When I was doing a short term carni, in prep for travel fasting (to avoid airline food on a 13 hour flight), I acquired a piece of gammon belly. Now that wasn't the name on the flag in the butcher's. It was actually some streaky bacon, but slashed and salted the rind, cut it into blocks of c1.5cm squared (obviously "taller" than 1cm), left the rind on it, threw it into the airfryer, did a few bits and bobs, then turned it, just to inspect it, more than anything. Gave it a few more minutes, then consumed a disgracefully ginagerous amount of it. It was frankly, addicitive. The crackling created was stellar.

Reactions: Member496333

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Garlic and onions are grown underground and are considered high carb. Thats one major reason that they are not used a lot on the LCHF WOE.

Oh yeah, I can imagine that caramelized onion might spike your blood sugar.

M

Member496333

Don’t forget that carnivore, or in fact any real food diet, isn’t all about glycemic stability. There are myriad benefits of quitting grains beyond the carbohydrate angle, and quitting plants brings about digestive improvements in many, to name just one advantage.

Speaking for myself only, my current focus is not glucose, but overall gleaming health and wellbeing. It’s not all about carbs/sugar anymore for me, as I cracked that nut a long time ago. Remaining a clean-eating nutritional enthusiast keeps me on the righteous path to happiness and longevity, irrespective of what may or may not contain carbohydrate.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone able to point me to a table showing how much protein in steak, chicken, lamb etc. I had assumed itvwas the weight of the meat but @bulkbiker posted earlier about eating a 600g steak with 100g protein which got me thinking. If a table doesnt exist could you let me know amount for 1 chicken breast, chicken thigh, 250g beef or lamb steak and mince which are all the things I eat. Thanks All.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone able to point me to a table showing how much protein in steak, chicken, lamb etc. I had assumed itvwas the weight of the meat but @bulkbiker posted earlier about eating a 600g steak with 100g protein which got me thinking. If a table doesnt exist could you let me know amount for 1 chicken breast, chicken thigh, 250g beef or lamb steak and mince which are all the things I eat. Thanks All.
Just use a supermarket website..
I tend to go for waitrose then look under the nutrition
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...angus-beef-sirloin-steak/697224-134133-134134
weight it before cooking and then apply the percentage..
so in the example I linked protein is 16.6g per 100g so for a 250 g steak 41.5g of protein.
Does that help?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: bulkbiker

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week...no idea, it’s roughly three months I think.

After some unsolicited advice on FB regarding my comment that I don’t eat carnivore to satiety (I never really get that feeling, hence the long distance obesity, T2 and cravings) I decided to eat with impunity this week. It was fun! Not.

- I’m still capable of massive overeating.
- I’m still suffering cravings due to the overeating
- Old behaviours surrounding food availability and justification surfaced
- It’s way easier to restrict what I eat and slightly under eat.
- Under eating is easy to control. I can increase should I need to
- I was overeating when I was eating plants
- I miss green things!

I didn’t lose weight this week and my average BG’s were in the 5-6 mark; too much protein.

Back to normal this week, upwards and onwards. I got loads of reduced pork and whole chicken at the weekend so today it’s a batch cook off and finding freezer space.
What are your favourite belly pork cooking methods? I usually do low and slow in the oven.

Reactions: Pasha

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week...no idea, it’s roughly three months I think.

After some unsolicited advice on FB regarding my comment that I don’t eat carnivore to satiety (I never really get that feeling, hence the long distance obesity, T2 and cravings) I decided to eat with impunity this week. It was fun! Not.

- I’m still capable of massive overeating.
- I’m still suffering cravings due to the overeating
- Old behaviours surrounding food availability and justification surfaced
- It’s way easier to restrict what I eat and slightly under eat.
- Under eating is easy to control. I can increase should I need to
- I was overeating when I was eating plants
- I miss green things!

I didn’t lose weight this week and my average BG’s were in the 5-6 mark; too much protein.

Back to normal this week, upwards and onwards. I got loads of reduced pork and whole chicken at the weekend so today it’s a batch cook off and finding freezer space.
What are your favourite belly pork cooking methods? I usually do low and slow in the oven.

If it's a slab ( as opposed to slices), then low and slow, then maybe a quick burst to finish the crackling if necessary.

If it's slices, I do something like this, https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/ . I put it in the pressure cooker for the boiling part, then the airfryer for the frying part. It's truly, truly magnificent. Made with thick (c1.5cm) bacon/gammon slices it's even better.

I'm on my own for a couple days, playing golf widow, so I may just visit the butcher for the latter. Self-restraint will not be plausible!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a week away last week. Great time, but carni fell by the wayside, mainly through social eating and convenience.

VERY glad to be returning to the carni fold.

I ate a couple of halves of baked potatoes, one heavenly sausage roll (award winning, dontcha know!!!) and the best chocolate and salted caramel known to man. Seriously, I would not be able to stay LC if that bakery was nearby. I am only safe because it is 300 miles from home. Oh, and a very nice slice of GF and LC clementine cake. Managed to avoid vegetables, except for a few token bits of onion and whatever veg was melted into the stew I made. I fished out the meaty bits, but you get some stragglers, don't you?

All in all, my body handled the week exceedingly well. Particularly the gluten. Last time I ate that amount of gluten it virtually crippled my knees, and I had a nasty psoriasis breakout and gosh the guts were nasty.
This time, just a bit of pain climbing stairs, and just psoriasis behind my ears. Guts fine.

I am convinced that carnivore, particularly keto carnivore (a la Paleomedicina) is excellent for gut health and permeability and autoimmune issues. Certainly my body is supporting the theory.

So what else did I eat? :)
Home made stew and chicken breasts in lemon/lime, bacon, eggs, some superb sausages, a heavenly hog roast in Edinburgh, and assorted cheeses. A couple of roast dinners (veg drifted onto Mr B's plate. Plus butter with nearly everything. And keto hot chocolate.

Weight has, mysteriously, not increased.

Most amusingly, the rest of the holiday group (family) managed to not notice (or rather not comment on) my weird eating at any point.

All went very well, really.

Now I am back I have done a lovely brisket, there is a shoulder of pork in the fridge, and quite a lot of cheese.
I need to defrost some liver too - haven't had any for nearly 2 weeks, and am craving it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen your pork post above @DCUKMod.

Last time I did a pork shoulder, I pressure cooked it, peeled the skin and some of the fat off.
Then shredded the meat.
The skin/fat went into to oven as a kind of pre-cooked crackling, with spices rubbed in.
Came up beautifully quickly, and was served golden and crisp on the top of the pulled pork.

Reactions: DCUKMod

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's a slab ( as opposed to slices), then low and slow, then maybe a quick burst to finish the crackling if necessary.

If it's slices, I do something like this, https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/ . I put it in the pressure cooker for the boiling part, then the airfryer for the frying part. It's truly, truly magnificent. Made with thick (c1.5cm) bacon/gammon slices it's even better.

I'm on my own for a couple days, playing golf widow, so I may just visit the butcher for the latter. Self-restraint will not be plausible!

Sliced. Boiling as I type...