Carnivores, what’s your intake?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Calling all exclusive (or as near as dammit) carnivores.

Some questions if you’d like to help.

Do you include offal?
Do you track amounts of protein/fat?
Do you measure your intake?
Have you found it costly?
Was it a conscious decision or have you just fallen into it?
What sort of thing do you eat in a day?
What’s your dairy intake, if any?

I’ve been lowering my fat intake (it was too high) and concentrating on increasing my protein intake but including eggs. I’d like to move forward with mainly animal protein and am curious about what your diet looks like.

Thanks folks.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you include offal?

I’ve been lowering my fat intake (it was too high) and concentrating on increasing my protein intake but including eggs. I’d like to move forward with mainly animal protein and am curious about what your diet looks like.

Thanks folks.

High fat low carb so plenty of meat. Lots of eggs and different kinds of meat. Needn't be expensive as cheap cuts can be cooked slowly also stock up when supermarket has offers. I am on statins and my cholesterol was with in acceptable levels at last check up

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you include offal? Yes usually ox liver but sometimes chicken livers too at least once a week.
Do you track amounts of protein/fat? Yes but I record everything but I don't design my meals so eat until full then stop
Do you measure your intake? Measure and record everything
Have you found it costly? Probably cheaper and certainly hugely less waste.. meat gets cooked and if not eaten immediately then stuck in the fridge for another meal. Also no veg prep so huge time saving..took over an hour to prep the veg for family at Crimbo
Was it a conscious decision or have you just fallen into it? Conscious but was heading that way anyway
What sort of thing do you eat in a day? Tonight Diet Doctors chilli but usually a steak or chop or chicken often sous vide and grilled to finish... oops edit to add and fish once a week..
What’s your dairy intake, if any? Cream in coffee (about 75ml) and lactofree milk in tea (100ml) plus butter when cooking and sometimes cheese but not every day

Last edited:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High fat low carb so plenty of meat. Lots of eggs and different kinds of meat. Needn't be expensive as cheap cuts can be cooked slowly also stock up when supermarket has offers. I am on statins and my cholesterol was with in acceptable levels at last check up

Thanks. I’m not bothered about cholesterol at all and have been low carbing for ten years.
Would you eat say, a slow cooked lamb joint that has some sort of added gravy?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you include offal? Yes usually ox liver but sometimes chicken livers too at least once a week.
Do you track amounts of protein/fat? Yes but I record everything but I don't design my meals so eat until full then stop
Do you measure your intake? Measure and record everything
Have you found it costly? Probably cheaper and certainly hugely less waste.. meat gets cooked and if not eaten immediately then stuck in the fridge for another meal. Also no veg prep so huge time saving..took over an hour to prep the veg for family at Crimbo
Was it a conscious decision or have you just fallen into it? Conscious but was heading that way anyway
What sort of thing do you eat in a day? Tonight Diet Doctors chilli but usually a steak or chop or chicken often sous vide and grilled to finish... oops edit to add and fish once a week..
What’s your dairy intake, if any? Cream in coffee (about 75ml) and lactofree milk in tea (100ml) plus butter when cooking and sometimes cheese but not every day

Thanks BB. your experiences are mirroring mine. Since tracking with MFP, my eyes have been opened. I was consuming a whopping 300-500 mils of double cream a day, now it’s down to 50.
Would you eat some sort of stew or casserole with the resultant ‘gravy’?

I’m missing cheese!

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being Easter Sunday we are having leg of lamp green veg and rhubarb fro the allotment and bisto gravy..

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being Easter Sunday we are having leg of lamp green veg and rhubarb fro the allotment and bisto gravy..

Thanks for that. I’m avoiding all vegetables and haven't eaten that sort of gravy product for 30 odd years!

Is that meal typical for you? Do you mostly eat meat?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wiflib , @Brunneria is a near carnivore.

I did just short of a week carni, in prerparation for a bit of a fast (long, long journey, including long flight, where I knew the catering wouldn't likely appeal). I was astonished how easy it was, and how much I enjoyed it.

I do also like my vegetables though.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you eat some sort of stew or casserole with the resultant ‘gravy’?
Yes I mean tonight we're having chilli which has tomatoes.. and onion so I'm not very strict and would certainly drink any juices from the meat when cooked..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you include offal?

Thanks folks.

Hi,

Yes to offal. I have malabsorption of a few things, and folate seems to be one of them. So I include liver, kidneys, heart, roe, and so on, to maximise nutrient intake.

I’ve found that my body does best on keto macros of protein and fat, as the paleomedicina diet suggests. Too much protein is indigestible and makes me feel claggy.

Do I measure intake? No. I tend to cook the amounts that come from the butchers or the supermarket, eat til full and then save the rest or donate to the dogs. For instance, If belly pork comes in 500g packs, I cook 500, eat around 350ish, the dogs eat 50g, and the remaining 100g gets diced up and added to another meal, probably crisped up.

Food bills are significantly lower without all the other stuff. So I sometimes buy more expensive fish, meats and cheeses with that saving (eg smoked salmon, lumpfish caviar, excellent steak), but food still costs less than it used to.

I shifted to this way of eating following a tummy bug that made veg impossible for a long time. 16 months later, I still find veg unwise, but can now tolerate a few wider choices. However prefer to stay mainly carnivore because it makes me feel better. The smell of most veg, cooked or raw, is now incredibly unappetising.

Yes to dairy (which is not according to the Paleomedicina way of eating)

In a typical day:
98% animal based
Breakfast: a mug of roast chicory and cream
L: meat, fish, egg or cheese. Typical examples, prawns in brinjal pickle cream, homemade liver pate, a lump of cheese, or smoked mackerel, or leftovers from the previous day. Keto macros - when i manage it.
Snack: a little 70+% choc
D: homemade burgers, homemade curry, steak, roast duck, roast lamb, offal soup. Basically any meat, fish, eggs or cheese is on the menu. Whatever herbs and spices they need.
This week, because it is Easter, I have made some low carb profiteroles. The rest of my eating has been as above.
I sometimes have a few nuts or nut butter.
And I have recently started eating oomi noodles regularly, for the variety and texture. These are mainly white fish, but do have 7g carbs per portion.

My dairy intake includes butter, hard cheese both goat and cow, cream, and occasionally goatsmilk yogurt.

I drink bone broth, and the meat juices, and make sauces from cooking juices.

Last edited:

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@bulkbiker "eat until full".
Have you trained yourself to eat less? Because I could eat a huge amount.
Last night I ate 2 pork shoulder steaks and 4 "the meaty one" sausages, brunch had been a 3 egg omelette with ham and cheese.
Brunch today was smoked salmon, two eggs poached in butter with two portobello mushrooms. Each of these meals stopped when the plate was empty and I was still hungry. I'm hungry tonight, really hungry despite drinking too much red wine.
If I didn't bulk out my meals with steamed veg I would eat a huge amount of meat. I reckon I could easily eat at least half of a pork shoulder joint. (Btw fatty pork is my preference).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker "eat until full".
Have you trained yourself to eat less? Because I could eat a huge amount.
Last night I ate 2 pork shoulder steaks and 4 "the meaty one" sausages, brunch had been a 3 egg omelette with ham and cheese.
Brunch today was smoked salmon, two eggs poached in butter with two portobello mushrooms. Each of these meals stopped when the plate was empty and I was still hungry. I'm hungry tonight, really hungry despite drinking too much red wine.
If I didn't bulk out my meals with steamed veg I would eat a huge amount of meat. I reckon I could easily eat at least half of a pork shoulder joint. (Btw fatty pork is my preference).
Where are you on your journey though?
I'm 3 1/2 years into eating this way - never have breakfast sometimes lunch (pork scratchings today) but always dinner.. I found over time I want to eat less but more nutrient dense food. Fattier cuts of meat are far better (although chicken breast is a weakness but I cook it with butter on it and eat the skin). Steaks and pork/lamb chops are great little nutrient packed perfection 75% fat 25% protein by calories.. so that's how I tend to eat. I don't stint just polished off 450g of beef mince chilli with cheddar and creme fraiche.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you include offal?

No, but would like to. Experimented with some chicken livers a couple of weeks back but didn’t enjoy. Need to try some alternatives.

Yes. Aim for roughly double fat to protein but rarely achieve it.

Yes.

No. Definitely eat less and tend to buy things up and freeze when on offer and also eat some of the cheaper cuts of meat. Have fallen in love with oxtail and ox cheek.

Bit of both. Was falling into it and then participated in world carnivore month in January and felt great, so sticking with it,

Main meal is usually either a large portion of slow cooked meat (short rib, oxtail, lamb shoulder shanks etc) or something fast like ribeye or bacon and eggs. Other meal (at work) generally either smoked salmon and cream cheese or some form of cold deli meat/cheese or bacon and eggs at local greasy spoon

A bit too much. Cream in tea and also neat cream (sometimes with nut butter or very high % chocolate added), cheese, butter.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. I’m avoiding all vegetables and haven't eaten that sort of gravy product for 30 odd years!

Is that meal typical for you? Do you mostly eat meat?
Every day. Have eaten meat for most of my 70 years. Grow my own veg. Free from pesticides and chemicals. It was my diabetic nurse put me on the high fat low carb diet. Working well for me at the moment.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every day. Have eaten meat for most of my 70 years. Grow my own veg. Free from pesticides and chemicals. It was my diabetic nurse put me on the high fat low carb diet. Working well for me at the moment.

Thank you. The carnivore thing is more along the lines of just eating animal based protein and little else though.

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you include offal?

No, but would like to. Experimented with some chicken livers a couple of weeks back but didn’t enjoy. Need to try some alternatives.

Yes. Aim for roughly double fat to protein but rarely achieve it.

Yes.

No. Definitely eat less and tend to buy things up and freeze when on offer and also eat some of the cheaper cuts of meat. Have fallen in love with oxtail and ox cheek.

Bit of both. Was falling into it and then participated in world carnivore month in January and felt great, so sticking with it,

Main meal is usually either a large portion of slow cooked meat (short rib, oxtail, lamb shoulder shanks etc) or something fast like ribeye or bacon and eggs. Other meal (at work) generally either smoked salmon and cream cheese or some form of cold deli meat/cheese or bacon and eggs at local greasy spoon

A bit too much. Cream in tea and also neat cream (sometimes with nut butter or very high % chocolate added), cheese, butter.

Thanks.

I add offal to mince for the grandchildren to eat, they don’t know it’s there but they love anything I make with it.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Yes to offal. I have malabsorption of a few things, and folate seems to be one of them. So I include liver, kidneys, heart, roe, and so on, to maximise nutrient intake.

I’ve found that my body does best on keto macros of protein and fat, as the paleomedicina diet suggests. Too much protein is indigestible and makes me feel claggy.

Do I measure intake? No. I tend to cook the amounts that come from the butchers or the supermarket, eat til full and then save the rest or donate to the dogs. For instance, If belly pork comes in 500g packs, I cook 500, eat around 350ish, the dogs eat 50g, and the remaining 100g gets diced up and added to another meal, probably crisped up.

Food bills are significantly lower without all the other stuff. So I sometimes buy more expensive fish, meats and cheeses with that saving (eg smoked salmon, lumpfish caviar, excellent steak), but food still costs less than it used to.

I shifted to this way of eating following a tummy bug that made veg impossible for a long time. 16 months later, I still find veg unwise, but can now tolerate a few wider choices. However prefer to stay mainly carnivore because it makes me feel better. The smell of most veg, cooked or raw, is now incredibly unappetising.

Yes to dairy (which is not according to the Paleomedicina way of eating)

In a typical day:
98% animal based
Breakfast: a mug of roast chicory and cream
L: meat, fish, egg or cheese. Typical examples, prawns in brinjal pickle cream, homemade liver pate, a lump of cheese, or smoked mackerel, or leftovers from the previous day. Keto macros - when i manage it.
Snack: a little 70+% choc
D: homemade burgers, homemade curry, steak, roast duck, roast lamb, offal soup. Basically any meat, fish, eggs or cheese is on the menu. Whatever herbs and spices they need.
This week, because it is Easter, I have made some low carb profiteroles. The rest of my eating has been as above.
I sometimes have a few nuts or nut butter.
And I have recently started eating oomi noodles regularly, for the variety and texture. These are mainly white fish, but do have 7g carbs per portion.

My dairy intake includes butter, hard cheese both goat and cow, cream, and occasionally goatsmilk yogurt.

I drink bone broth, and the meat juices, and make sauces from cooking juices.

This has been massively helpful too and I thank you for taking the time to reply.

Reactions: Brunneria
D

Deleted member 308541

I eat meat of some sort including bacon / ham in every meal daily, plus I eat seafood, veggies, cheese, yoghurt.

So not a full blooded carnivore, but I eat a lot of it. :D