Carrying Insulin

Hello,
My husband is on insulin injection 4times a day. Sometimes he have to drive within city or neighborhood city for meeting appointment. If the appointment is at the time for injection, how is the best way to carry insulin? Because as far as I know the insulin should keep refrigerated. Thanks in advance

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It only needs refrigeration for long term storage. A pen or vial will last a month out of the fridge :)

D

Deleted Account

Insulin does not need to be refrigerated - it can be kept at "room temperature" for a couple of weeks.
If he is going somewhere hot, the insulin should be kept out of direct sunlight.
When travelling (such as when camping for 2 weeks in Morocco), I may use Frio bags (https://friouk.com/) to keep the insulin cool.

To be honest, if the insulin is used straight out of the fridge, it may hurt more when it is injected.

AcrossThePond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use both pen and vial insulins myself but dose exclusively using syringes. When traveling (single day excursions), I simply carry multiple prefilled syringes with me and leave everything else at home. That way, the main vials and pens stay refrigerated at all times so that the insulin contained within them retain full potency a lot (and I do mean a lot) longer. I store the prefilled insulin syringes in appropriate "prefilled syringe cases" to protect the dosages. The cases prevent the plungers from getting accidentally depressed or from deploying until I remove it from the case to make the injection.