case study

James Price

Dear all I have been asked to write a case study on peripheral neuropathy and would appreciate your help. I have a list of questions and would very much like it if you could help by answering them.

Please feel free to ask your own questions as I would appreciate the input. Cheers James Price

1, how has peripheral neuropathy affected your life?
2, how has it impacted on your activities of daily living?
3, have you lost or put weight on and how have dealt with it?
4, do you smoke/ if so how many and for how long?
5, were you sent any literature on diabetes care and if so who by?
6, how did you discover you had peripheral neuropathy?
7, what do you eat and has this changed since you were diagnosed as diabetic?
8, has the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy changed the way you see yourself body image?

Liberty

Dislikes
Too many to mention! I'm a fussy mare!
Hi,
I was diagnosed Type 1 in December 2008 and for afew months afterwards my world was turned upside down. It is somewhere on the way to where it should be now.
In answer to your questions:
1.) I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and autonmic neuropathy in January 2009. This completely disrupted my daily life in the beginning, resulting in me being admitted to hospital twice, once being stuck there for three weeks, then two weeks the second time. I had terrible leg pains which took some time to be diagnosed as neuropathy as I was told that although it was a common complication of diabetes, it wasnt usually diagnosed so early on. ( had only been diagnosed as diabetic in December'08 and I'm 26yrs old.) It took a while to find the correct medication.

2.) It had a severe impact on my life to begin with, I was in almost constant pain which nothing seemed to get rid of and I was unable to concentrate on anything else. It was usually worse at night. I ceased virtually all of my usual activities and if the pain had continued I seriously think I would've jumped off the nearest bridge! It was worse than anything I've ever experienced. Thankfully it is now under control. I take 40mg amytriptyline daily. I was taking 40mg of morphine sulphate tablets twice daily but I don't need to take them as often now. I also have a supply of oramorph to take for breakthrough pain. I try not to use this very often, I've only used it a few times since being out of hospital and it's always been at night.
I am much stronger now and have resumed most of my usual activities. I walk a lot and ride my horse most days.

3.) I lost almost 3stone initially, I think this is common for most type 1's when first diagnosed. I was not overweight to begin with so when I lost all that weight I became very weak(and looked like death!) The automnic neuropathy made me lose my appetite and I'd often feel after I ate. I also had very low blood pressure and would feel dizzy whenever I moved. I began to have a constantly racing pulse, both of these things were very frightening. I am on fleudrocortisone tablets for the blood pressure. My blood pressure is improving as is my heart rate and my appetite has returned. My weight is almost back to normal too but it took a couple of months before I saw any improvement and Istill have regular appointments with my consultant- who has been brilliant by the way.

4.) I do not and have never smoked.

5.) I have been given some literature from diabetes uk by my consultant.

6.) I discovered I had peripheral neuropathy after going to my doctor about the leg pain, being admitted to hospital and undergoing nerve conduction tests.

7.) I used to try to eat a fairly healthy diet but I have to admit I have a very sweet tooth and ate far more chocoate than I should've done. Obviously I now cut out all sugary foods except for the occaissional treat. I am also considering going low carb as i think this wil help me to gain tighter control of my blood sugar levels.

8.) The diagnosis if both diabetes and neuropathy has changed the way i see life and my body image. I would give anything to be 'normal' again. I still get pain in my right leg in particular and can be quite uncomfortable a lot of the time. However, six months ago I could hardly stand up straight and wouldn't even have had the energy or inclination to type this email. I took my mare out for a long hack and a good gallop yesterday- something which seemed impossible when I was stuck in my hospital bed- so things are improving and I hope that they continue to do so.
I hope this information helps, sorry for rambling on, I hope I've not bored you too much!
Kind Regards,
Tara

Liberty

Dislikes
Too many to mention! I'm a fussy mare!
just spotted a typing error!

Oops, in my reply to question 3, when talking about my appetite I wrote
'i would often feel after I ate...'
I meant to write I would often feel ILL after I ate ! Just in case you were wondering! It's been a long day, I think i's past my bedtime, ha ha.

Goodnight
Tara