1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cataracts

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by minidvr, Jul 5, 2016.

1. minidvr

minidvr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just had an eye test. Optometrist says that I have the early signs of developing cataracts, which he says is down to age, and has no connection with diabetes.

Not knowing much about the connections, if there are any? I'm wondering if there is any research available into this aspect?

2. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

There is a risk of developing cataracts if you have uncontrolled diabetes, but there are other normal factors like age, genetics etc, that cause them. If you have been getting regular eye tests I think the optometrist would know if your diabetes was to blame

3. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I thought it is the sun rays that cause cataracts. Diabetes might speed it up.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/cataracts.html

This link is helpful.

5. tricia

tricia Type 2 · Newbie

I have my eyes checked every year by a local area eye diabetic group, About a month ago I had my latest check-up and was given the terrible news that I have cataracts coming in both eyes!, as you can guess I am thinking all types of horrors. I love to read books, the bloke told me 'it could be years' before the cataracts will effect me. If you are told this news read, read, read all you can about cataracts, so that you can know what all there is to know.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook