Caught early and whipped into submission

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from non-diabetic in November 2014 to an A1C of 9.5 in Feb. 2015. Since then I have lost about 22 lbs. and been exercising very regularly. Low carb but not high fat on the diet. I went in for an evaluation today and my average blood glucose reading was 5.06 over the last 30 days. I fully expect my next A1C to be around 5.5

As far as I'm concerned, I'm lucky. I'm lucky that I was able to make some lifestyle changes and take control. I fully realize that not everyone will have the ability, (or even the possibility), of turning things around so quickly and easily. This post is not for you. This post is for those that CAN easily make a difference and CHOOSE not to. Don't do that! Borrowing a little from "Good Will Hunting" here: You owe it to those that have a tougher row to hoe.

Look, I am only a few month into this. I don't know much. But I know that if I was in the position of "doing my best with no results"... it would be hard to deal with folks that don't even try.

I'm just encouraging people to try.

Type 2

Reactions: 23 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went from non-diabetic in November 2014 to an A1C of 9.5 in Feb. 2015. Since then I have lost about 22 lbs. and been exercising very regularly. Low carb but not high fat on the diet. I went in for an evaluation today and my average blood glucose reading was 5.06 over the last 30 days. I fully expect my next A1C to be around 5.5

As far as I'm concerned, I'm lucky. I'm lucky that I was able to make some lifestyle changes and take control. I fully realize that not everyone will have the ability, (or even the possibility), of turning things around so quickly and easily. This post is not for you. This post is for those that CAN easily make a difference and CHOOSE not to. Don't do that! Borrowing a little from "Good Will Hunting" here: You owe it to those that have a tougher row to hoe.

Look, I am only a few month into this. I don't know much. But I know that if I was in the position of "doing my best with no results"... it would be hard to deal with folks that don't even try.

I'm just encouraging people to try.

Type 2
Well done Mike. As you say, many of us are not so lucky. I struggle with my BS. I am on the LCHF diet and lost 1 and 1/2 stones from an already normal BMI to bring me to the bottom of the orange zone, just above the dangerously underweight range. I have stabilised at 7 stone but I can eat no carbs at all and still often have my glucose higher than it should be. I will start the ND soon in the hopes of reversing things but am no too confident that it will work for me as I am far from the typical T2 diabetic. I have been tested for GAD antibodies and C-Peptide ans am not a type 1.5.

It is great to hear of people who, like you, have got things under control and saved yourself a lot of problems and the NHS a lot of money!

Reactions: 8 people

RichardofYork

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mike, I have a similar experience. By pure chance, a routine blood test some 6 years ago identified my Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT). I immediately cut out all sugar (as far as possible), started a Low GI diet or food plan, and took up a lot of fun exercise ( badminton, walking, cycling). I lost 15 kg and even after 6 years I am still pre-diabetic with HbA1c = 6. So I can fully endorse your message. Type 2 once you have it is not reversible as many claim, but for those with IGT it is not inevitable that you will develop it. Life style is critical.

Reactions: 5 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mike, I have a similar experience. By pure chance, a routine blood test some 6 years ago identified my Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT). I immediately cut out all sugar (as far as possible), started a Low GI diet or food plan, and took up a lot of fun exercise ( badminton, walking, cycling). I lost 15 kg and even after 6 years I am still pre-diabetic with HbA1c = 6. So I can fully endorse your message. Type 2 once you have it is not reversible as many claim, but for those with IGT it is not inevitable that you will develop it. Life style is critical.

Agree with that; I think I had been diabetic for many years without knowing as I didn't have any symptoms despite my very high glucose and HbA1c levels when diagnosed.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@RichardofYork

There are folks on this website and professors of medicine in Newcastle that may have a bone to pick with you on this statement..

"Type 2 once you have it is not reversible as many claim,"

I'll grant you reversing T2 isn't easy but there's more than a few folks who have reversed T2 on here..