Cauliflower rice - cooking methods - first experiments

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Having (as described in another thread) made my first batch of raw cauliflower rice, about 500g, I now had to cook it.
I read that you have to cook it otherwise it smells even more "raw cauliflower" than the original florets.
Having smelled it, I agree.
On line recipes then diverge quite a bit.

I split the 500g into two roughly equal portions.

Instructions seem to agree that you should cook for about 5 minutes in a shallow pan.

Method 1 - extra virgin olive oil and butter warmed in the pan. Added the cauli. Cooked for a bit, and it looked dry so added some more butter.
After a bit it seemed to be shrinking so covered the pan with a lid.
Put timer on for 5 minutes.
As per the instructions there was a slight browning of some of the cauliflower. It had shrunk quite a bit even with the lid on. Saved to a plastic box.

Method 2 - same procedure, but before the lid went on added some chicken stock (all this started when we had roast chicken and I made a curry of the leftover bits and pieces).
May have added a bit too much stock. Cooked for 5 minutes with the lid on, then for an extra minute with the lid off to evaporate some water.
This looks more promising.
A quick taste showed there was still a firm texture, although there was some residual liquid.

First tentative conclusion - add some liquid at the start of cooking to preserve texture and bulk.

First impression - it looks more like cauliflower couscous (which allegedly was the original name) but seems very palatable and hopefully will alleviate the mind's craving for rice with curry which is illogical but factual.

I think this may be the basis for various fried rice recipes. Let us see if I can bear up under the burden of preparation from scratch. I will try store bought variants if they can overcome my inherent meanness.

How does the team cook their rice?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I use frozen cauliflower, I steam it and then chop it up fairly coarsely. It seems to have less flavour than the fresh.
If I have a fresh one I cook some in a pressure cooker with swede, in a fair amount of water. I usually eat the cauliflower at once and keep the swede for next day.
I prefer the coarse chopped cauliflower to rice with curry. Not that is is a real curry I use garam masala added late in the cooking.

Reactions: PenguinMum

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stir fry it, just as I would stir fry ordinary rice. It can be done dry or with oil added.

If I'm doing it to go with, say, a curry, it'll be done with Pilau seasoning, or going with crispy airfried pork belly, we might use Paella seasoning, or with smoked haddock crumbled through it, the some hard boiled egg, be a form of kedgeree.

Pretendy Paella is a particular favourite.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
My husband puts it in the oven for about ten minutes at a high temp....

It's not rice, but it tastes good.

Reactions: lovinglife

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I couldn’t get a cauliflower at any of the three shops in our village so ended up using frozen. Yeuck! :grumpy: Never again.
Morrisons order placed and arriving Wednesday, hopefully with 3 x caulis ;)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always buy fresh as I found the frozen damp and unappetising. Plus I don’t have a microwave. Always fry for a couple of minutes for rice. Roast In Slices or mash with Parmesan. Tend to buy the extra large ones from M&S as they are the better value.

Reactions: jjraak

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loving all these cooking methods - I have only ever steamed our wee humble cauliflower. Can’t wait to try other ways.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Loving all these cooking methods - I have only ever steamed our wee humble cauliflower. Can’t wait to try other ways.
If you prefer or can only get small cauliflower, it can be lovely roasted with lots of spice/seasoning.

Take off the leaves and trim the stalk a bit, then cut an X into the base of the stalk
In a bowl, mix yoghurt with whatever seasonings you like - tandoori, lemon pepper, fajita seasonings all work well, as examples, but anything you fancy really.
Sit on a baking tray, on it's stalk end and roast in a medium over for as long as it takes (depends on the size of the cauli etc)

When it comes out, it should have a bit of a crust on it and look a bit like a brain. :) It hasn't made me any more clevererererer,.......... yet! :)

Enjoy!

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower and courgettes (zucchini) are so adaptable.

Picked up this recipe from Facebook this morning and will be trying it out for dinner tonight (couldn't see any copyright) for Potato Pancakes, or perhaps it should be Faux Potato Pancakes, or even Faux Potato Cakes.

Ingredients:
2 cups cauliflower rice
2 medium-sized zucchinis, shredded
1/4 cup almond flour
2 large eggs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for frying

Nutrition Facts (Per Serving – Makes approximately 4 servings):
Calories: 120
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 95mg
Sodium: 160mg
Total Carbohydrates: 7g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 3g
Protein: 7g
Servings:

Instructions:
1. Prepare Cauliflower Rice: If you don’t have pre-made cauliflower rice, you can make it by pulsing cauliflower florets in a food processor until it resembles rice.
2. Shred Zucchini: Using a box grater or a food processor, shred the zucchinis. Place the shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
3. Combine Ingredients: In a large bowl, combine cauliflower rice, shredded zucchini, almond flour, eggs, Parmesan cheese, chopped green onions, minced garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
4. Form Pancakes: Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Spoon the batter into the skillet to form pancakes, flattening them with a spatula.
5. Cook Until Golden: Cook the pancakes for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy.
6. Drain Excess Oil: Place the cooked pancakes on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
7. Serve Warm: Serve the Low Carb Potato Pancakes warm, optionally with a dollop of sour cream or your favorite low-carb dipping sauce.
8. Enjoy: Enjoy the delightful flavors and textures of these low-carb potato pancakes without compromising your dietary goals!
9. Store: Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a skillet for a crispy texture.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stir fry it, just as I would stir fry ordinary rice. It can be done dry or with oil added.

If I'm doing it to go with, say, a curry, it'll be done with Pilau seasoning, or going with crispy airfried pork belly, we might use Paella seasoning, or with smoked haddock crumbled through it, the some hard boiled egg, be a form of kedgeree.

Pretendy Paella is a particular favourite.
I love pretendy Paella too - I used to love the "packet rice" with flavourings already added, so this is my go to style. If it's going in a curry, chili, etc i just chuck it into the sauce at the end

Reactions: aylalake

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make this as a dish on its own, it’s amazing, this is my thread in it - disco cauliflower - I add chorizo as well but it is a vegetarian dish

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh I wish it were tomorrow evening after my delivery (hopefully) of cauliflower. All these ideas and recipes sound sooo good, particularly as I am currently doing a 36 hour fast.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I make this as a dish on its own, it’s amazing, this is my thread in it - disco cauliflower - I add chorizo as well but it is a vegetarian dish

Dang, I had just found that thread after much searching to link it here, and copied a picture of this absolutely wild cauliflowr, and now I see you already shared it!

I'll add the picture from the website because it looks so cool!

1701789350314.png

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just an update on the cauliflower rice experiment.
I have some left but am a little reluctant to eat it.
Which is strange after the urge to create a "rice-a-like" to deal with the cravings.
I think that without the "hit" of the carbohydrates, a white fine grained food hasn't really got the same pull.
It is just something boring to bulk up a curry.

I experienced very similar with low carbohydrate bread (apart from the Lidl rolls which were very moreish).

Step 1 - try a roll substitute. Hmmm...this isn't too offensive, could be a substitute for real bread.

Step 2 - do I fancy a butty? Well, maybe tomorrow. No real urge to eat it today.

This contrasts with how I feel when there is "proper" bread in the house where I have to steel myself to ignore it.
Or when I am off the wagon and eating bread, when I can eat bread any time I am feeling even slightly hungry.

So this is basically carbohydrate addiction, and the body knows the difference between the real stuff and the imitation.

I'm finding something similar with the low carbohydrate beer, which tastes very similar to but subtly different from my favourite "real" beers.
This is, however, a more difficult comparison as I am very picky about which bottled/canned beers I will drink.
So the low carbohydrate beer may well be better than a lot of "real" beers, just not as good as my favourites.
In this case I don't think it is the carbohydrate hit that makes me like the beer, but the overall malt and hops flavour.
I could, of course, be mistaken.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get exactly what you are saying @LittleGreyCat, although I'm far from cured of carb addition, I've been thinking about a book I read many moons ago by the hypnotist Paul McKenna. He suggested that when you're drifting off to sleep, think of the food you've been craving, then imagine it in the most disgusting form, like covered in dog hairs and worse. Eventually you do become grossed out by that food, to a degree, I think it's worked with me regarding deserts, especially deserts like 'death from chocolate', I never have deserts when we go out now which wasn't always the case. I'm not sure if it was my mind controlling these thoughts, but now I've remembered this book, think I might put this knowledge to some use again. It can't do any harm.

• Informative
Reactions: aylalake