CBD oil and diabetes

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I’ve been reading a lot about the benefits of CBD and wondered if anyone used it? I understand it’s not psychedelic and is good for anxiety but I can’t find any standardised measures or dosing information so wasn’t sure how claims are being made!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been reading a lot about the benefits of CBD and wondered if anyone used it? I understand it’s not psychedelic and is good for anxiety but I can’t find any standardised measures or dosing information so wasn’t sure how claims are being made!!

Hi,

Regarding BG managment. Let's say from past experince long ago. My jury is out & haven't yet come back from recess.
I feel it's a bold claim on BG. However as an alternative regarding pain management?
I'll tag in @JTL for his view.

I did however watch this documentary a few months back that seemed reasonably balanced or not on that side of things.

https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/events/cannabis-miracle-medicine-or-dangerous-drug-bbc2-28-august-2019/

Hope this helps.

Technically we can't provide consultation on dosage. Especially regarding alternative medicine.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The pain clinic told me to go to the vape shop ,and start vaping it to help me when I decided to come off years of opiates.
I said I already tried CBD rubbish.
He said you went to Holland and Barrett ... I said yes he said it's rubbish!
The percent of CBD in the H n B stuff is minuscule compared to the vape oils.
The difference can be enormous.
Do a little research into reputations.
Yes it does work but it seemed to set of my COPD .... then that became uncertain as a cause but I packed it in ... too much like smoking even though nicotine free it becomes a habit and I kicked the smoking habit years ago.

Back on the opiates but yes I experienced pain relief that was quite impressive but evntually you need more and more.
If it actual cannabis oil which it isn't you would never build a tolerance.
If five puffs on a spliff wobbled your head fifty years ago then five puffs on a spliff today will wobble your head too.
The real stuff .... cannabis with THC and CBD is a far superior painkiller and all round wonder medicine but the main problem besides it still being illegal is there seems to be no resins about any longer like there used to be.
All boring old skunk these days that is seriously hard on your lungs where as resin can actually help clean them out!

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and kev-w

Hotpepper20000

Here in Canada both THC and CBD are legal and can be bought in special stores with out a prescription. Any combinations of varying percentages of each. It was deemed an essential service during lock down.
There is no need to smoke it any more. . We have candies, chocolates and ******* containing Sativas, Indiceas and Hybrids.
I use it for pain relief at night for a Herniated disk. I have tried different combinations and have had success with pain relief and relaxation but have not found it helps with BG control.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I don't know about BG control but I have read of people using CBD for COPD relief which sounds a bit daft to me.
Cannabis resin yes but CBD oil would seem a big fat no to me as would skunk.
Thing is CBD oil exploded in popularity as a fashion fad and people have been passing on news of it being a wonder drug for almost any and everything.
Same happened with coconut oil .... which I use.
It became some kind of wonder medicine overnight!

Reactions: Lainie71

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The full natural cannabis spectrum should be used without interfering with it with electricity and chemicals etc. Seriously grow it and use it used to be the norm and should be again.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The full natural cannabis spectrum should be used without interfering with it with electricity and chemicals etc. Seriously grow it and use it used to be the norm and should be again.
Just in case anyone is thinking of doing that sort of ‘gardening’ they need to be aware of this..
https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/cannabis/ :)

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: Lainie71 and Jaylee

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Just in case anyone is thinking of doing that sort of ‘gardening’ they need to be aware of this..
Theresa Mays husband and another Tory MP are the largest growers of cannabis for medical use around the world but not here.
The UK became the biggest producer and exporter of medical cannabis but we can't have it here because it has been deemed to have no medical value!
I bet Mister May doesn't want his customers to hear that!

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
The vet gave my daughters staffie dog six months to live if she didn't agree to her dog undergoing surgery, chemo and radiation treatment and the removal of half the dog's face. 12 months if she did agree at a cost of £8,500. The dog lived for another 5 years supplementing with only CBD and no other treatment.

Attachments

• canna1.JPG
    canna1.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 69
  • ruby2.jpg
    ruby2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

My experience of CBD oil is this:

It was recommended for a family member around 2015. They tried the recommended brand and found it useless.

Then, sometime around 2020 I got desperate with my insomnia and decided to try it.
did some research (looked up CBD in the Which website, and ‘best CBD brands UK’ on google such as this https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/health/wellbeing/cbd-oil-uk-the-8-best-cbd-oils-in-the-uk-reviewed ), and decided to go with 2 of the highest recommended brands.

Was rather unimpressed with one brand. Very much liked other brand, and now use their capsules, at night, rather than their drops.

My family member now uses the same brand I do, likes it, wishes they had persevered and discovered a brand and dose that suited them years ago, and finds it helps with insomnia, inflammation and anxiety.

I find it to be helpful in reducing insomnia (amongst other things), brilliant in helping general inflammation and arthritis (better than prescription drugs), and utterly useless in reducing blood glucose (didn't even know it is thought to help with that).

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don’t think you will find much info about doseage info, since (from the reading I have done), there have been very few studies done (what a surprise), and people vary a great deal due to height, weight, muscle mass, digestability, and how many receptors people have activated on their cells.

i recall reading that over 70mg a day MAY overload the liver, and that different health issues seem to respond to different dosages. For example, pain relief needs a lower dose than insomnia.

when I started with CBD I was on 2-3 x 30mg capsules a day, spread across 24 hrs. I found that a dose seemed to be effective for 12-18 hours.

As time went on, my body seemed to learn to make better use of the CBD (more receptors came online) and I have reduced my intake to just 1 x 30mg, which nowseems to be just as effective, and also lasts around 24 hrs now.

Boy do I feel a difference when I skip a day!

- compare 1 x 30mg of CBD giving 24hrs of pain relief with any over the counter or prescription pain relief, which usually only last 4 hrs, and often come with significant and unpleasant side effects…

Last edited:

andromache

They aren’t allowed to make any medical claims or associated dosing recommendations, which means folks have no alternative to consulting the wilder reaches of the Net with their fingers crossed. Barmy, really, but them’s the rules.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
CBD I believe is good for inflammation but is not very effective for pain relief
THC is the opposite good for pain relief but not very effective for inflammation.

In California where cannabis is legal for medical and recreational use most suppliers of medical cannabis I am given to understand would recommend a combination of both with the ratio 3 CBD to 1 THC.

This of course would be illegal here in the UK so I would not recommend it.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
My once well respected gp actually asked if I liked the smoke, when I said "um... well", he said he was not against it and it would help my anxiety. I was quite shocked that he would think that but clearly he was a one of a kind seasoned gp and well into his 60s at the time, not that age is a determination of a liking to a bit of cannabis ;)

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
The vet gave my daughters staffie dog six months to live if she didn't agree to her dog undergoing surgery, chemo and radiation treatment and the removal of half the dog's face. 12 months if she did agree at a cost of £8,500. The dog lived for another 5 years supplementing with only CBD and no other treatment.
What a beautiful dog x

Reactions: Billy Barroo

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think you will find much info about doseage info, since (from the reading I have done), there have been very few studies done (what a surprise), and people vary a great deal due to height, weight, muscle mass, digestability, and how many receptors people have activated on their cells.

i recall reading that over 70mg a day MAY overload the liver, and that different health issues seem to respond to different dosages. For example, pain relief needs a lower dose than insomnia.

when I started with CBD I was on 2-3 x 30mg capsules a day, spread across 24 hrs. I found that a dose seemed to be effective for 12-18 hours.

As time went on, my body seemed to learn to make better use of the CBD (more receptors came online) and I have reduced my intake to just 1 x 30mg, which nowseems to be just as effective, and also lasts around 24 hrs now.

Boy do I feel a difference when I skip a day!

- compare 1 x 30mg of CBD giving 24hrs of pain relief with any over the counter or prescription pain relief, which usually only last 4 hrs, and often come with significant and unpleasant side effects…
Full spectrum (The whole plant) CBD paste "Nothing wasted" is quite easy to dose with. Starting off with a pea sized dose, then working your way up from there. Slowly until you get used to it.