Celebration cake ideas?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next weekend is my parents 50th wedding anniversary and as a family we are all going to Dorset for a long weekend. I'd love to take a cake to celebrate - but also don't want my BG to go crazy.

Advice appreciated. Should I just take a regular cake and just take a small piece, not each much and not make a fuss (already said I can't eat my Dads famous lasagne)

Alternatively can I mak a celebration cake myself? Any recipes? It can't use xylitol as one of my brothers have dogs. Never use Stevia but know many people react badly.

These are the situations which I find so challenging - maybe just do a regular cake and not each much? If any?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

With the best wish in the world..
The only cake I ever dealt with? Was for our wedding.
It was a "normal" cake.. Well, when I say normal. It was black, shaped like my Mazda Bongo van/camper. & had WED666 on the number plate..
I never touched any of it.

Point is? No one seemed to notice I abstained...

My motto? Keep it simple.. Lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.... Unless you realy like cake?! ;)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I ate 'real cake' was trying our wedding cake recently when I registered nearly 11 - ok, I tried quite a bit LOL - I think maybe a regular cake and just not eating much (if any) is the best route.

Thanks @Mongolia I love @ewelina blog and often make her lemon cake. But xylitol is poisonous to dogs so I won't risk using it for this cake :)

Reactions: 3 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I ate 'real cake' was trying our wedding cake recently when I registered nearly 11 - ok, I tried quite a bit LOL - I think maybe a regular cake and just not eating much (if any) is the best route.

Thanks @Mongolia I love @ewelina blog and often make her lemon cake. But xylitol is poisonous to dogs so I won't risk using it for this cake :)
Xylitol not needed, just substitute with a sweetener of your choice eg Splenda.

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sure that you can use sucralose, stevia etc instead of xylitol. It's different from the different types of flour that really do act differently. @ewelina has said this in her blog......I think.

Ideas for a cake are this thread:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/best-low-carb-chocolate-birthday-cake-please.97773/page-2

and I always like the flourless choc cake recipes, e.g, ditch the carbs.

ok, you might not be able to ice it.... but everyone would love it. Why make something that you can't enjoy? \you might have to if you are somewhere where you have no choice.....but you are making it.

ps When's your wedding?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Next weekend is my parents 50th wedding anniversary and as a family we are all going to Dorset for a long weekend. I'd love to take a cake to celebrate - but also don't want my BG to go crazy.

Advice appreciated. Should I just take a regular cake and just take a small piece, not each much and not make a fuss (already said I can't eat my Dads famous lasagne)

Alternatively can I mak a celebration cake myself? Any recipes? It can't use xylitol as one of my brothers have dogs. Never use Stevia but know many people react badly.

These are the situations which I find so challenging - maybe just do a regular cake and not each much? If any?
If you don't want to use xylitol you can buy online erythritol. Works the same as xylitol but its not toxic to dogs. Im just baking one using erytritol for tomorrows picnic http://www.mojewypieki.com/przepis/makaronikowe-migdalowe-ciasto-z-malinami

Recipe in polish but you can translate using google translate (I replaced sugar with erythritol). There are many more recipes on my blog, one of my favourites is carrot cake

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't want to use xylitol you can buy online erythritol. Works the same as xylitol but its not toxic to dogs. Im just baking one using erytritol for tomorrows picnic http://www.mojewypieki.com/przepis/makaronikowe-migdalowe-ciasto-z-malinami

Recipe in polish but you can translate using google translate (I replaced sugar with erythritol). There are many more recipes on my blog, one of my favourites is carrot cake

Thank you so much, I'll order some and make a lovely lemon cake too!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to derail, but is Stevia interchangeable with Xylitol and Erythritol in your recipes @ewelina ?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to derail, but is Stevia interchangeable with Xylitol and Erythritol in your recipes @ewelina ?
To be honest I don't know. I used stevia once and really didn't like the aftertaste. I gave up on stevia all together :(
I think pure stevia (green powder) is not the same as xylitol/erythritol. It doesn't add any volume to the cake so I wouldn't recommended it for sponge cakes (brownies and cheesecakes should be all right)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I don't know. I used stevia once and really didn't like the aftertaste. I gave up on stevia all together :(
I think pure stevia (green powder) is not the same as xylitol/erythritol. It doesn't add any volume to the cake so I wouldn't recommended it for sponge cakes (brownies and cheesecakes should be all right)
Thank you. I did use Stevia to make your strawberry ice cream. Delicious, but rock solid.:confused:
Will stick to instruction in future.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure that you can use sucralose, stevia etc instead of xylitol. It's different from the different types of flour that really do act differently. @ewelina has said this in her blog......I think.

Ideas for a cake are this thread:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/best-low-carb-chocolate-birthday-cake-please.97773/page-2

and I always like the flourless choc cake recipes, e.g, ditch the carbs.

ok, you might not be able to ice it.... but everyone would love it. Why make something that you can't enjoy? \you might have to if you are somewhere where you have no choice.....but you are making it.

ps When's your wedding?

Thanks for your suggestions. I've decided to have one made - I suddenly remember a friend of my brothers launched a cake making service, my parents know her so a nice touch too.

But, I'm determined to make a cake I can eat that isn't harmful to dogs so have ordered ingredients suggested. Love ditch the carbs so might try one of theirs.

PS wedding next year now ... probably early Dec :)

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My granddaughter had a wedding cake made from cheeses. The churchmouse does a diy package.nYou could copy the idea and make your own.
images

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your suggestions. I've decided to have one made - I suddenly remember a friend of my brothers launched a cake making service, my parents know her so a nice touch too.

But, I'm determined to make a cake I can eat that isn't harmful to dogs so have ordered ingredients suggested. Love ditch the carbs so might try one of theirs.

PS wedding next year now ... probably early Dec :)

Low Carb Chocolate Loaf perhaps? http://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-chocolate-pound-cake/

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My granddaughter had a wedding cake made from cheeses. The churchmouse does a diy package.nYou could copy the idea and make your own.
images

Cheese will be on the weekend menu! And I have a cheese cake in my own wedding plans ...