Celebrations over festive season

Wooly123

I am 8 weeks pregnant and type 1 diabetic. I am just wondering what everyone else is thinking about the so-called restrictions and what do people plan on doing? I live in Scotland so not sure what the the restrictions are elsewhere. We have been told we should have Christmas Day as planned and keep gatherings as small as circumstances allow, so this is fine. It’s more that fact that the advice is to not have large gatherings after our main festive day. So what I’m more concerned about is what to do about New Year’s Eve. A few of our close friends were going to gather at our friends house. Now there is no legislation or anything being enforced so I am finding it hard to know what to do and I don’t want to be the one to put a stop to any fun when nothing has been legally enforced. What would you do?

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
If you have already made plans, can you adopt them to make them covid friendly? My girlfriend had prediabetes while pregnant during lockdown and these factors put her in a more vulnerable category. Maybe speak to your friends and let them know how you feel? You probably aren't the only one. Hopefully they will understand if you change your plans later on. Lot's of rumours that we are going into lockdown on the 27th anyway..

EDIT: Just to be clear I'm not saying you shouldn't go

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are fairly asocial here so have no plans for much in the way of gatherings over the next couple of weeks, but last weekend a group of me and my friends had been planning to meet up, go to an exhibition then for food together. We all, independently, decided that it just wasn't worth the risk.

I'm the social butterfly of our household, the resident blokeshape is somewhere in the agoraphobic/autistic camp and would be quite happy never to leave the house again. He is also clinically extremely vulnerable and, despite the other bad stuff that goes with it, has been more than happy to use that as a reason not to go out over the last year or so.

I think, short form, you have to weigh your own risks. Us, we're staying hunkered down for a while longer despite having been jabbed many times each (3 Covid and 1 'flu jab each)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Wooly123 all actions have to be based on how you feel personally. Not what politicians or guidelines tell us. We are adults making our own decisions. Just because you are allowed to do something it doesn’t always make it the right thing to do.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Wooly123 only you know what you are comfortable with.
Currently the advice (although not the rules) is that everyone should do a LFT before meeting in a group. I would not feel any concern if I was to ask my friends to do this on new Year's Eve before your party.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I am not intentionally scaremongering but I do know a group of people who attended a performance. They all returned negative LFTs before they meet and all sore masks throughout. Five out of six have now tested positive!