CGM decisions

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have decided to self fund a CGM system. I have 3 days left of my Libre 2 trial and I love it. The only down side is I keep getting messages saying signal lost. I have been looking into the Dexcom one 3 month starter plan but as it is nearly £300 I don’t want to buy it and then regret it. Has anyone who has used both give me some pros and cons?

Thank you

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided to self fund a CGM system. I have 3 days left of my Libre 2 trial and I love it. The only down side is I keep getting messages saying signal lost. I have been looking into the Dexcom one 3 month starter plan but as it is nearly £300 I don’t want to buy it and then regret it. Has anyone who has used both give me some pros and cons?

Thank you
I can't help with a product comparison and I don't use a CGM currently, however when I was initially diagnosed with T2D recently then I looked into prices out of curiosity.

Would a 1 month Dexcom One starter kit be a feasible option for you? Much cheaper and currently available for £124.99:

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't help with a product comparison and I don't use a CGM currently, however when I was initially diagnosed with T2D recently then I looked into prices out of curiosity.

Would a 1 month Dexcom One starter kit be a feasible option for you? Much cheaper and currently available for £124.99:

Thank you. I really don’t know how I missed that

Reactions: Paul_

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did trials of freestyle libre and dexcom 7. I kept getting false low readings with libre and found dexcom more accurate. Dexcom is more expensive, though and only lasts 10 days. I like dexcom better, but am going to use only occasionally because of cost. I have to have the reader near me or I lose signal with dexcom.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgreymare

Mike88

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dexcom are offering free trials of their G7. I think I signed up on their website. Mine was delivered recently & haven't used it yet. The reviews (from real people like lorib64) sound like Dexcom G7 is the best of the bunch atm. Another thing to consider on top of cost & performance is how well this will integrate into your electronic world (mobile & smart watch). Dexcom products integrate well with Garmin for example. Libre works well with Apple Watches...

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dexcom are offering free trials of their G7. I think I signed up on their website. Mine was delivered recently & haven't used it yet. The reviews (from real people like lorib64) sound like Dexcom G7 is the best of the bunch atm. Another thing to consider on top of cost & performance is how well this will integrate into your electronic world (mobile & smart watch). Dexcom products integrate well with Garmin for example. Libre works well with Apple Watches...
Thank you for this. I have an Apple phone and a watch, however I don’t have a glue how to set it up on my watch

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used both Dexcom and Libre.
Whilst Dexcom was more accurate, the Dexcom app is very basic and only works on a smaller subset of phones. Unlike Libre, if your phone is not on the list, you cannot even start the Dexcom.

My preference (albeit before Libre 2 was a rtCGM), was Libre 2 with xDrip+. This maintained connection and with the calibration feature of xDrip+ was most accurate with the better app.

Mike88

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for this. I have an Apple phone and a watch, however I don’t have a glue how to set it up on my watch
LibreLink can send alarms to your watch. You could also use Shuggah & via a calendar complication send BG readings to your watch with a trend arrow. You would have to switch off the bluetooth link between LibreLink & your watch.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I started with a self funded Dexcom G6. Originally used with an iPhone 12 and that worked well. I then upgraded to an iPhone 13 and had to buy and use the Dexcom reader for about 5 months while Dexcom tested the changes in both iPhone hardware and a very major new iOS software rollout.

Now using a G7 (still self funded). Works well with my iPhone13 using latest iOS 16.6. Haven't tried an Apple Watch. My next plan is the upcoming iPhone 15, but will resort to the Dexcom reader if it takes a few months to get the compatibility tested (Dexcom do already approve use of iPhone14).

Dexcom One is essentially a G6 with dumbed down software (to make it cheaper) - shouldn't affect accuracy, just fewer reporting bells & whistles.

EDIT - the G7 is slightly cheaper than the G6 if self funding. But I think Libre 2 or Libre 3 cheaper still.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you
Hi, are you Apple or Android?

Let’s establish & start from “there.”

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion

Thank you
With the new Libre v2 even if you lose signal the sensor stores the levels and fills them in next time you do an actual reading. I used to use the Libre reader but now use the app on my mobile phone and don't lose many readings. I self fund as gp Has never offered to fund it and I didn't want to keep doing finger pricks. I find it really interesting to see what spikes my sugar. Cheese seems to bring the level down but no idea why.

lawrence21360

Thank you
i ignore the lost signal message and just take a reading after that it automatically supplies one LIbre

Diversity

After a successful start with Libre I ended up with endless problems with communications with my Samsun phone. After multiple telecomms with them and several updates of their system and several (6) bad hypos I was transferred to Dexcom. I have found it to be more accurate. The sensor is slightly larger and only lasts 10 days rather than 15 on Libre. It is a bit of a fiddle taking off the transmitter and re-inserting it into the new one. It gives continual readings and I've found it to be much better. As a side note Libre people removed my phone from their supported phones list why was annoying s I had selected that phone because it was on their list.

Freya15

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you
Best thing I ever did. My fingers were getting so painful. On Monday I bought freestyle lite reader for diabetes 2. It’s accurate and so easy. The alarm tells me if going low or high. I bought direct from my chemist cost £53 for 2 weeks. I will now Oder next supply. I found dexcom more expensive. Completely painless to put on arm too. Good luck . X

000gm0bile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried and tried to get on the Libra2 trial but they keep saying i can't go on it and yet I meet all the criteria they have on there terms and conditions?

Suzanne88

Hi Dizzychick.
I have not used Dexicon, but have used libre 2 for quite some time and I think it's fantastic.
My libre 2 is linked up to my local hospital so my Endo can monitor all of my readings and let me know if I need to make any adjustments.
I have looked at Dexicon but when I did comparisons I felt that libre was the better a product for me.

Also I'm not sure what you pay for libre there but in Australia we get subsidized by the Government so only cost $15 .

I hope my description helps.

Cheers Swany

Good sense

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you
Are you in UK.If so NHS can supply Libre Link.I agree …life changing.

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
I did trials of freestyle libre and dexcom 7. I kept getting false low readings with libre and found dexcom more accurate. Dexcom is more expensive, though and only lasts 10 days. I like dexcom better, but am going to use only occasionally because of cost. I have to have the reader near me or I lose signal with dexcom.
Dexcom 6 & 7 also have apps which means you can use your mobile rather than buying a receiver (which costs about £250 if I remember correctly). (Just saying for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar with Dexcom following the thread).

Dexcom suits me better as I don't have to remember to scan it at the right time to find out my peak blood sugars and I am allergic to Libre.