CGM Medtronic Sensors

Connie’s Dad

My daughter currently has libre2 which both me and my wife can follow remotely.

In order to loop with her Medtronic pump we need to self fund a different sensor type. Guardian 3 (?).

Has anyone got experience with this? Is it followable?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the guardian 3 sensors with the 670g pump and am using them in auto-mode.

If you mean can you see what's going on from something like a phone, then its definitely not with the 670g pump as the the data is only visible on the pump or after you download it onto the Medtronic Carelink site (using the test meter), I don't know if this is different for the 780g pump (or any others I dont know about) as I don't have that one.

As for how I've found the auto-mode, it has made an awesome difference for me, I was having big problems overnight (either a huge DP 80% of the time or (for the other 20%) being low all night and hypo'ing (and not waking up) - with no predictability), now means I start the day at a reasonable level which has helped immensely

Last edited:

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have the 780g I know you can use the CareLink Connect App on your mobile to follow someone.

In terms of what it is like going hybrid-looping, I started 2 months ago and my HbA1c has improved by over 3% (78 down to 42). The alerts for high/low are very good and I prefer it to the Libre as I can calibrate the Medtronic sensor if things seem a little off. In all my years of having diabetes and using Libre sensors and Medtronic sensors I much prefer Medtronic and have seen a much better improvement from looping.

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's followable via an app provided by Medtronic, and you will see data in near real time, including configurable alerts and alarms.

The sensors work well for me, the downside is that they are a lot more fiddly to change. It's one part rechargeable transmitter, and one part sensor that sits under the skin.

Once applied, it requires tape to be placed over the top to hold it in place.

The sensor life is only 7 days compared to the 14 days you get from a Libre.

The Guardian 3 sensors need to be calibrated by entering a finger stick reading every 12 hours. The new Guardian 4 sensors do not have this limitation, but are only just becoming available in the UK, so you should plan to be on the 3's for a little while.

Other than the above, I have been happy with them so far