Type 1 CGM patch allergies

adi_mrok

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

my wife has gotten a CGM lately and her skin is itchy and red because of the patch used for the sensor. Do you have any advice or any solutions for her? Anyone maybe can recommend some anti allergic patch as a replacement, or some good creame? Cheers!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just a warning if it's happening with a libre. My libre results became unuseable after I became allergic to the sensor, so check against a blood testing meter (allowing for the 10-15 minute delay) to make sure the sensor is still giving accurate results . I'm hoping to go back to the libre, but am giving my arms a rest for a few months first....

D

Deleted Account

Take care when using any creams, etc. when applying the Libre as it may affect the reading.
I use SkinTac for DexCom but have to make sure this does not go where the probe goes into my skin: I draw a dot on myself which is where I aim the probe and apply the SkinTac around the dot.

My other thought is whether it is the Libre, the adhesive or the way it is removed.
The tendency is to yank the sensor off when it is complete. This is not always a good idea and can lead to welts and itchiness.
The advice from physios for removing tape is to soak it well and they pull gradually letting more water in as you pull back the tape. I follow this for removing my sensor and my pump cannula and do it in the shower.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Cavilon might be worth a thought. Works very well for some.

iHs

SkinSafe might work or spraying the skin with a antihistamine spray before applying the sensor.