CGM Privacy

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
For those using Dexcom and Guardian CGM (and maybe others), what are your thoughts about your diabetic teams monitoring you via the cloud?
You go high or low (select a number) and your diabetic team gets an alert on a dashboard when they next login?
Your license is revoked if you go high or low (Victoria Australia used to take you Drivers License off you if you had a HbA1c of over 13, parents of teenage boys loved that), it won't be long that if you 1 hypo a month you drivers license is suspended.
How about the data posted on the Net where all your work colleagues can have a good gawk and laugh, thanks to hackers.
Healthcare not covering you for any diabetic ailments if you are not in target 99% of the time.
Employers removing bonuses because you have had lows at work, so you weren't highly productive during those times.
Remember you are already eagerly providing the data.
Will Medtronic / Dexcom Sell the data for 'research' (Facebook was giving data away and you really don't want to know what Google is up to)?
This may not be implemented yet, but the data is there ready and waiting.
How far is too far for you?
And you are providing more on a daily basis.
I'm just curious on your thoughts.

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is quite a thought. Sadly technology can be used for good and bad. I use a reader than than through an app. Maybe that is more private?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Pre cgm my team downloaded data from my glucose monitor....

I'm more concerned by the fact that my cgm reads low for the first 12 hours so it ends up recording hypos that aren't actually hypos. I think my team will attempt to use the data to help me so I'm happy for them to have it. I guess I might not be so happy of the relationship went sour.

Yes there is the potential for misuse but I don't think we're there yet.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose we always have a choice, self fund or finger pricks and no one knows a thing, I don’t like it but there’s a lot of things about this world I don’t like but can’t change.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
You go high or low (select a number) and your diabetic team gets an alert on a dashboard when they next login?

I have nothing against them knowing that. I live alone and if I suddenly lose consciousness from hypo, it would be cool if an ambulance would be called automatically

Your license is revoked if you go high or low (Victoria Australia used to take you Drivers License off you if you had a HbA1c of over 13, parents of teenage boys loved that), it won't be long that if you 1 hypo a month you drivers license is suspended.
If you were not driving at that moment, why deprive you of your driver's license? Well, driving a car with hypoglycemia is dangerous both for you and for other road users. In general, I agree that if you are driving in this state, then it's about the same as driving drunk.

How about the data posted on the Net where all your work colleagues can have a good gawk and laugh, thanks to hackers.

What's so funny about that? I doubt that people without diabetes at all understand at least something about what the blood glucose level should be

Employers removing bonuses because you have had lows at work, so you weren't highly productive during those times.

If I fulfill all the tasks set by the employer, what does it matter to him if I feel good at this moment or not? The time required to relieve hypoglycemia is even less than the time that my colleagues and I can drink tea

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
And there was me thinking my health care team were there to help me , damm I am so naive !

sgm14

For those using Dexcom and Guardian CGM (and maybe others), what are your thoughts about your diabetic teams monitoring you via the cloud?

For me it has its benefits, I am will to accept the loss of privacy.

I doubt that. With the number of diabetics they are responsible for, they would be inundated with alerts.

Don't drive, so this does not affect me, but I think banning people who have a hypo a month is unlikely. That is a big jump up from the 'don't drive for 45 minutes after a hypo' guidelines.

Not worried about that.

Healthcare not covering you for any diabetic ailments if you are not in target 99% of the time.

Isn't that like saying they are not going to treat your diabetes because you are a diabetic?

Isn't that illegal?

Remember you are already eagerly providing the data.
Will Medtronic / Dexcom Sell the data for 'research' (Facebook was giving data away and you really don't want to know what Google is up to)?

I assume that they are already selling the data. I just hope that it is anonymised and if so I don't really have an issue with that. I am happier for someone to use my data to help diabetics in general (or future diabetics) than I am for someone to use it to figure out how to sell more products.

This may not be implemented yet, but the data is there ready and waiting.
How far is too far for you?
And you are providing more on a daily basis.
I'm just curious on your thoughts.

I might be naive, but for me the benefits are concrete and huge and the downsides are theoretical and vague and I have lots of real problems to worry.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77