CGM test method - interstitial or blood??

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Might try a blucon, but from a quick read it doesn't look like this will alarm either??...

Re alarms, yes and no depending on what app you use with it and whether you're willing to use android.

The maker's inhouse app Linkblucon (there's both android and iPhone versions) isn't much cop: they keep on making noises about developing it to have alerts but are extremely vague - recent tweets and facebook stuff mention "voice notifications" and "target ranges" which suggest they might have introduced them, but even if they have, it's an extremely basic app and I've never really bothered using it.

But if you use the blucon transmitter with the app xDrip+ that definitely has alarms. However, it does not run on iPhone so that might be a dealbreaker for you. Many dexcom users use it in preference to the official dexcom app. It has pedigree.

Not trying to sway you one way or another - dexcom and libre/blucon/xdrip+ are both good systems which will wake you if you're getting near a hypo - but for me, it just boiled down to the cost. I just wasn't that keen on the startup costs of dexcom, the ongoing costs of buying replacement transmitters, and the fact that sensor restarts don't always extend life to 2 to 4 weeks: some people only get 10 days. With libre, I knew it would be a definite £100 per month (now £70 - there's a chemist near me selling at NHS cost price of £35) and then adding the blucon transmitter was £100, I expect that to last well longer than a year - it's just a bit of electronics with a cheap replaceable CR2032 battery - and xdrip+ was free.

I started a thread at link below about blucon which gives some details if you're interested in following that route. A caveat is that the makers are a small start up company, seem to have been overwhelmed by demand, their ordering system is shambolic, and people have experienced delivery delays - for all I know, it might go out of business, always a risk with small startups. Dexcom is definitely the safer option as a large well established company, but that brings you back to the higher costs of replacement transmitters and hoping sensor restarts extend it to more than 2 weeks. In fairness, most people have no problems restarting.

Whichever route you take, have fun! Full cgm really does level the playing field.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/getting-hypo-alerts-with-libre-blucon-and-xdrip.127195/

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Or does that $100 Bluecom transmitter make it so you don't have to buy the transmitters at all and use your cell phone. How long does the 3rd party Bluecom transmitter for the Libre last?

The Blucon transmitter is warranted for a year, but it's just a bit of electronics with no moving parts apart from the on/off button and the battery cover, so I expect it to last way longer. Had mine for about 8 months now and it is doing fine, just change the battery every 2 or 3 weeks, a cheap CR2032 watch style battery.

I activate each new libre sensor with the official libre reader (one off cost of about £50 here, mine is about 18 months old, still working fine) then put the blucon transmitter on top of it and it sends results every 5 mins to my android phone.

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The Blucon transmitter is warranted for a year, but it's just a bit of electronics with no moving parts apart from the on/off button and the battery cover, so I expect it to last way longer. Had mine for about 8 months now and it is doing fine, just change the battery every 2 or 3 weeks, a cheap CR2032 watch style battery.

I activate each new libre sensor with the official libre reader (one off cost of about £50 here, mine is about 18 months old, still working fine) then put the blucon transmitter on top of it and it sends results every 5 mins to my android phone.
Does it alarm for highs and lows? Are you using xdrip on your phone?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does it alarm for highs and lows? Are you using xdrip on your phone?

Hi, yes, I run xDrip+ on an android LG K8. As noted above at post #21, it only runs on android. There's a related project called iosxdripreader which runs on ios but I've never used it.

Yes, it's got high and low alarms. You can set up any number of customised alerts you want for different ranges at different times of day. Couple of screenshots to give you an idea of how it works, first shows the edit screen for setting up a new alert or editing an existing alert, second is the page which lists existing alerts.

Screenshot_2018-01-18-19-59-11.png

Screenshot_2018-01-18-20-02-40.png

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, yes, I run xDrip+ on an android LG K8. As noted above at post #21, it only runs on android. There's a related project called iosxdripreader which runs on ios but I've never used it.

Yes, it's got high and low alarms. You can set up any number of customised alerts you want for different ranges at different times of day. Couple of screenshots to give you an idea of how it works, first shows the edit screen for setting up a new alert or editing an existing alert, second is the page which lists existing alerts.

View attachment 24970

View attachment 24971

That's great Scott, thanks for your help!

HJROD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True the transmitters have to be replaced every 3-4 months with Dexcom. But don't you have to replace the "Readers" with the Libre every few months? Either way you have something else to buy. Or does that $100 Bluecom transmitter make it so you don't have to buy the transmitters at all and use your cell phone. How long does the 3rd party Bluecom transmitter for the Libre last? All this sensor/reader/transmitter stuff gets confusing right.
Blucon should last forever, have to change battery..less than a dollar, lasts about 3 to w
4 weeks

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add you can get the batteries change in a G5 if you're using xdrip, costs not much at all