Type 2 CGM

emeles

currently testing two types of CGM devices.
Really impressed with one which proactively downloads data onto smart phone.
This provides a clear picture of my current BS levels which prompts much thought on my activities and eating.
I now NICE have now approved CGM devices but it would help to hear feedback from anyone who may have succeeded in obtain8 g one on prescription through the GP.
The value of better management must have overall cost savings together with those of the balance of the CGM cost versus no lancets and BS test strips?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1) using a CGM does not eliminate the need to test blood sugar with finger pricks. CGM devices require calibration with finger sticks. DVLA does not recognise CGM as a required test before driving. And it's not widely encouraged to bolus off CGM readings.

2) the GP will not be able to prescribe a CGM. Funding for a CGM will require an individual funding request to the CCG with support from a consultant endocrinologist as to why it is required.

3) a type 2 diabetic has slim to nil chance of being NHS funded for a CGM. NICE has approved CGMs in limited circumstances for type 1s only. Realistically, there limited circumstances are where a type 1 is hypo unaware and having frequent severe hypos requiring ambulance attendance and hospitalisation

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have a funded cgm but it only is for short periods of time before I have to submit evidence (and the consultants) that I have exceptional circumstances.

I think you may be referring to a Libre for funding availability through NICE guidelines but it is still down to each CCG to determine whether the funding of them is warranted.

It is very rare and exceptional circumstances for CGM to get funded...