cgm

Londonone

Hi
I have a CGM. Had for a few months. Has anyone else used one?
I'm finding that sometimes after I add my tested blood sugar that the CGM shows it as different.
Im using a Decom G4/G5 has anyone else used this device. Also have anyone use the newer phone device?
Thanks
Nick

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Londonone welcome to the forum :)

It's pretty normal to have differences with your BG meter readings vs a CGM and even other meters, there's a delay on the readings with Dexcom, I understand it's about 15 minutes difference. I use the G6 and calibrate this against my meter every 2-3 days which balances out the readings, however if I do a test on the G6 now vs my meter I know there will be a difference with this. Also depends if your blood glucose levels are stabilised or if your going high/low too, there's quite a few variables so it's really not worth comparing the 2.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm finding that sometimes after I add my tested blood sugar that the CGM shows it as different.

I use an app called xDrip+ (it can be used with dexcom instead of the official app) and when I enter a bg calibration, the calibration dot on screen appears about 10 to 15 mins ahead of the cgm dots timeline, presumably to account for ifg lag.

So, it'll be quite common for the cgm reading and bg reading to differ when compared at the time, but the cgm algorithm will take its lead from the bg input and will generally start to converge over the course of the next 10 to 15 mins.

D

Deleted Account

I used to have a G4.
I was told not to over calibrate as it “confuses the algorithm”. I’m not sure what this really meant.
I also try to calibrate when my BG is not to high or not too low.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Hi, Nick. It's normal for dex to be way off for the first 24 hours after inserting a new sensor. There is also up to a 20% difference in the readings of dex and your meter. I, personally, think that some sensors are just not as accurate as others. Now that I've re-read your message, I think you may mean that after you enter the calibrated number, the CGM does not show the same number. Yes, it happens all the time to me. Sometimes, I'll re-enter the number and it is correct the second time, although the arrows may disappear. Most times, I can't be bothered. :D