Prediabetes Challenges of pre and type 2 diabetes

Lorry (male)

Many individuals may be aware of the lifestyle behaviours or habits that have led them down the road to developing pre and type 2 diabetic symptoms. Making changes in lifestyle can be difficult. The question posed here requires a subjective response. What are the biggest challenges you have dealing with pre and type 2 diabetes? What strategies have you implemented to deal with your diabetes? Have you endeavoured to educate yourself on diabetics and methods to improve symptoms?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many individuals may be aware of the lifestyle behaviours or habits that have led them down the road to developing pre and type 2 diabetic symptoms. Making changes in lifestyle can be difficult. The question posed here requires a subjective response. What are the biggest challenges you have dealing with pre and type 2 diabetes? What strategies have you implemented to deal with your diabetes? Have you endeavoured to educate yourself on diabetics and methods to improve symptoms?

It wasn't my habits that made me a T2, that was due to my genes and PCOS. Genes are a big factor for T2's, unless brought on by medication like steroids or statins. So yes, I have educated myself, and I altered the way I eat to accomodate my metabolic condition. The biggest challenges are social occasions. I'm the spoil sport for not eating cake, so I tend to avoid those. Not because of the cake, but for the hurtful, often ignorant remarks when I refuse to partake. (I'll gladly explain or laugh with a joke, but there are some people who like to crush me in front of an entire room full of people. Those parties, I avoid). I follow a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting, which fixed basically everything contained in Metabolic Syndrome. The changes themselves were relatively easy, because my meter told me I was making progress. I think that covered all your questions...?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lorry (male) , and welcome to the forum!
Can you tell us a bit more about yourself and why you want to know?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to have accepted that type two diabetes is self inflicted and we need to be put right and stirred into action.
I just rejected the idea that other people have the right to dictate my diet, and stopped eating 'healthy' carbs.
My GP seems to be sulking.

Reactions: annie-p

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the last 40-50 years people have been misled into believing we should eat so called healthy carbs at the expense of normal healthy fats, so I consider it unreasonable to assume that we have caused our diabetes by our lifestyle choices. The so called dietary "experts" actually have a lot to answer for.

My T2 was inflicted on me in part by long term consumption of statins, so definitely no lifestyle choice of mine, neither was a high carb diet my preference. T2 enabled me to justify a return to a better way of eating, so choosing LCFH was an obvious and easy choice to make, and one that I can continue with long term.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Lorry (male)

Long term use of prednisolone caused my diabetes no life style choice involved until after becoming diabetic and going LCHF to help control my blood sugars.

Not another of those hit and run first time posters I hope as we would like some feed back on what it is you actually want from us if its help and support just ask, rather than come on here posting in a tone I found slightly patronizing and making unwarranted assumptions as to what brought us here.

If you are after help or support or just wish to make a constructive contribution to the forum then welcome. :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Struck me as information gathering. Hope I'm wrong. They haven't been back to the forum for 5 hrs.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek