Change from Glargine & Novarapid to Humulin I & S

acbrom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I went for my annual check up with the nurse at my local GP and have been asked why I am still on Lantus Glargine and Novarapid...

I was then introduced to Humulin I and S (?) as alternatives and was told to think about changing before my next appointment in six months time.

I have been on the DAFNE regime for approx 10 years now (had diabetes for 21 years since age 3) and have been fairly happy with how things are. I don't really know much about these Humulin insulin's and how they differ from Lantus Glargine and the Novarapid....can anyone shed some light / recommendations? I'm sceptical that it is just a cost cutting exercise for the GPs!

Thanks,
Andrew

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can't think of an obvious reason why the nurse would want to change you over. Lantus is a very common once-a-day insulin and NovoRapid is equally common. My nurse also nearly prescribed me Lantus but marginally went for Levemir as she claimed it was flatter in profile (but doesn't last quite as long). If you aren't having any problems I can't see why the nurse would want to change you over unless the cost is lower. If it was me I would want to stay where I was unless the nurse can give a good reason for the change? I'm assuming you are using a modern pen of some kind?

jeves

Re: Change from Glargine & Novarapid to Humulin I & S

Hi I'm also on both of these, been diabetic for 31 years and also on dafne my bs are really good aswell if you could let me know why they want to change your insulin many thanks

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
acbrom said:
I have been on the DAFNE regime for approx 10 years now (had diabetes for 21 years since age 3) and have been fairly happy with how things are.

Well if it ain't broke, don't fix it Andrew!

I've not used Humulin insulins and like you I use Novorapid and Lantus, I would be very reluctant to change insulins unless there was specific reason for doing so, just tell the nurse you are happy with the way things are and do not wish to make the change.

fractureman

I came off humalin I onto lantus years ago, it's a twice daily injection morning & evening as only has a short life. Also it's profile is not same as lantus it peaks & troughs

Humalin s also known as lispro is my short acting insulin & think it's same as novo rapid.

I'd stick on what you are on & tell them politely to f**k off lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

acbrom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the all the replies! Im not back at the doctors for 3-6 months but I think i'll stick to Lantus and Novarapid. I've searched all of Google and cant find any other reasons or case studies of people that have changed over to Humalin. The nurse did show me a 'case study' from the PCT giving reasons for the change so will try and get hold of a copy of that if I can....probably will just be a cost cutting reason!

Sent from my iPad

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds very much like cost cutting although it has to be said that some people do get on well with these insulins
You might like to point out what the newer insulins attempt to do.
ie meal time insulins are fast onset to cope with the immediate surge in glucose after eating. Basals attempt to provide consistent background insulin over a 24 hour period..
regular (humulin s)has a longer action than 'rapid' so needs to be taken some time before the meal (30-60min ) and lasts for longer, up to 8 hours.
Intermediate (humulin I) has a distinctive peak which has to be accounted for, after the peak it's effect diminishes considerably (has implications for those with non 'regular' lifestyles.

Novorapid has a faster onset and is out of the body in 4-5 hours, lantus has a flattish profile (supposed to last for 24 hours but doesn't in all people)
see the profiles here:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=408

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andrew!

Absolutely agree with the others. HumulinI is an intermediate acting insulin and is not the equivalent of Lantus. I used to use an intermediate acting insulin called insuman basal - consultant said they like it cos 'it's as cheap as chips'. Seriously, make them justify any change.

Smidge