Change from Libre 1 to 2 or not?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hello everyone, At the moment I'm using a Libre 1 and Miaomiao 2. I self fund so I'm wondering if there is any advantage to change to Libre 2? I don't have a reader but just use my phone and wonder if it's worth the bother of changing if I have to change/update Libre Link etc. Just don't know so if you've made the change, can you let me know please? Thanks Sue

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I made the change and think it's great.
The Miaomiao is no longer required and the readings seem to be more accurate.
I assume if you are a Miaomiao user, you are using a third party app.
If all you need is the alerts when your levels get too high or too low, you can get these with the official app with official support and no need to deal with enthusiastic geeks who only speak tech-talk".
The LibreLink phone app is all that is needed. You can review the historic data via LibreView ... as can your diabetes team if they are interested.

If that is not good enough motivation, I expect Libre 1 to be desupported in the future so you are likely to reach a point when you have no choice.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am only just over a week into my first libre 2 sensor, but so far am not impressed. Low alarms frequently don't work, and Bluetooth constantly losing contact even when it's in my pocket or next to me on my bed.
Started it with the reader, so waiting till nearer the end of this sensors life to try to connect xdrip with Oop2 in case it stops the sensor, as am missing the predictive element of xdrip, and the fact you can set more than 2 alarms. My control has got worse on present setup than before.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Changing from Libre 1 to 2 is dead easy. Librelink works with both and the only difference is having the alarms with Libre 2 which I find really useful. Alarms uses Bluetooth and I find it works very reliably with my Samsung S8.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I made the change and think it's great.
The Miaomiao is no longer required and the readings seem to be more accurate.
I assume if you are a Miaomiao user, you are using a third party app.
If all you need is the alerts when your levels get too high or too low, you can get these with the official app with official support and no need to deal with enthusiastic geeks who only speak tech-talk".
The LibreLink phone app is all that is needed. You can review the historic data via LibreView ... as can your diabetes team if they are interested.

If that is not good enough motivation, I expect Libre 1 to be desupported in the future so you are likely to reach a point when you have no choice.
Thanks @In Response that's what I needed to know. I do use the Miaomiao and I frequently get weird messages "missed signal" which creates more fiddling but I do feel better with the alarms. Did you have to upgrade anything or was the Libre2 recognised?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @In Response that's what I needed to know. I do use the Miaomiao and I frequently get weird messages "missed signal" which creates more fiddling but I do feel better with the alarms. Did you have to upgrade anything or was the Libre2 recognised?
It depends when you last updated LibreLink,
If it was updated/installed some time in the last year, you should be ok.
Otherwise, it is available from PlayStore or Apple Store (or whatever the fruity guys call it) so there is no need to faff with installing things from github or the like.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For me, self funded, no problem changing as the sensor was recognised by the same software on the same phone.
Alerts are "interesting" but not a game changer.

I'm looking forward to the next generation where you don't have to scan at least every 8 hours.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
It depends when you last updated LibreLink,
If it was updated/installed some time in the last year, you should be ok.
Otherwise, it is available from PlayStore or Apple Store (or whatever the fruity guys call it) so there is no need to faff with installing things from github or the like.
Thanks @In Response might have to get back to you on that once the Libre2s arrive and it doesn't function

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I know most folks are in the UK but I thought I'd mention for anyone reading this thread from the United States that the Libre2 app is still not approved by the FDA, so in the USA you must still use the Libre2 reader device which is a consideration if you're self-funding.